Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Export Daily Lesson Plan for Students (Read 13744 times)
Steve Scott

Re: Export Daily Lesson Plan for Students
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2013, 10:53am

Awesome.  Thanks for the tip on the date formatting. Your answers are always so thorough and helpful.

I'm going to burrow down now and get some work done, but before doing so, I have one final question.

I teach two subjects.  My initial intent was to have a tbx file for each class.  However, the system will share many common protypes, attributes, and templates.  Because I am just building all of this, I know things will change.  Would it makes sense to put two subjects into one system.  Programme could be changed to Course #1 and at the same root I could add Course #2.  

The other advantage is I could bounce from course to course making changes and then have 1 export.

Before proceeding, could you let me know if that makes sense or would you keep two separate files.

Thanks, so much!  Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2013, 11:13am

I'd say yes to using one file for now. I'd still keep all the 'content' under one root, for ease of all-course searching**, then have separate courses under that. Amend any agents accordingly. For key nodes like the root container of each discrete course do ensure the names are unique so you can easily filters them: e.g. via descendedFrom("Course A") for Course A, etc.

** more to the point having any easy means to ignore 'non-content' notes. That's not a rule - feel free to do differently!

It makes sense to use one file as that way all courses get the upside of any changes. Keep an eye on performance (see upthread and aTbRef) and be prepared to start throttling always-on updating via agent priorities.

If you find an all-in-one file cumbersome or you're hitting issues over duplicate names causing collisions, then you can split the file latter - especially if the 'structure' of the doc has matured. An easy split might simply be to dupe the TBX and delete one course from each file (and any root level reports for said course). Also a split is easier than a merge, where you've lots of prototypes (why is a subject for a different thread isf needs be - aTbRef explains this in part).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2013, 6:46pm

If anyone is following along, I ended up using this as the rule for the "Week" Prototype

$EndDate = date($StartDate+"4 days"); $Name = "Week "+$WeekNum + if($StartDate) {" [" + $StartDate.format("MM d") +"-" +$EndDate.format("MM d")+"]";}    

It formats like this:  Week 02 [August 26-August 30]

Thanks for all of the help Mark!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print