Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modified Site Map /Index Page (Read 2285 times)
Steve Scott

Modified Site Map /Index Page
Aug 09th, 2013, 1:26pm

I have been studying the aTbRef file trying to figure out the best way to make an "index" page for my class website.

It seems like one strategy found here: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/index.html is to hand code each link.

Another strategy found here: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/aTbRefSiteMap.html is to automatically generate a site map.

I'm thinking that the site map style might have the benefit of updating automatically and would be more accurate than hand linking everything.

Whereas the aTBRef seems to export everything, I would only want to export the first three levels in a given root.

Would I create an agent for what I want to export and then use the site/map template?  

I'm working on this now.  If I find something that works, I will post how I did it.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Modified Site Map /Index Page
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2013, 1:42pm

Quote:
I would only want to export the first three levels in a given root.

If you're recursing a tree, as in my sitemap, in envelope/letter style then you could just set the 'letter' template to not recurse if $OutlineDetpth is > 3. Or, as an offset if the start isn't at level 1: $OutlineDetpth is > 3 +$OutlineOrder("Reference Note").

Quote:
Would I create an agent for what I want to export and then use the site/map template?

Agents make this particular task harder because they flatten the outline. Sure, you can use $OutlineDepth(original) but better to simply export from the source container with the above sort of cascading export.

But, what if you already export that container as a single age (for other purposes)? You can't export the same note more than once. What if you want to export the same note using two different templates. aTbRef has exactly this problem. The top page of content exports as the site index (a.k.a home) page. It is also the 'source' of the sitemap page. Look at aTbref's TBX and you'll see the "aTbRef Site Map" note towards the bottom of the main outline and outside the content area. Look at that note and them template it uses to see how the method works.

If you want to export the contents of a find(), i.e. a set that doesn't map fully to (part of) the outline, then I don't think a tree can work.

If you do export and outline (a tree of links) you can also then apply general HTML enhancement techniques to expand collapse branches of the tree. Indeed the aTbRef sitemap is not a good HTML page. It's >150 kb and way too long to read easily, but it was only designed as a technique demonstrator. It's hard to make the page's content smaller - in file size - but using Javascript to collapse the outline might make for a more readable index in your setting.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print