Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Determine selected Note & make note visible/invisi (Read 3193 times)
SteveS

Determine selected Note & make note visible/invisi
Oct 28th, 2013, 7:05pm

Hi All,

I am thinking about a way to semi-simulate an active GUI in tinderbox.  For example, lets say I need to show different activities for different weeks, and I create several notes to represent "week" tabs:

[week 1]    [week 2]    [week 3]

Now, lets say I select "week 1" note (i.e. click on it)

*[week 1]*  [week 2]   [week 3]

Next, I was thinking that if I could write a rule for the "week 1" note to determine if it is selected (or maybe an agent to find the selected notes), I could then use the name of the selected note to make visible a companion informational note (which up to now has been invisible), like so:

*[week 1]*  [week 2]   [week 3]
----------------------------------------------
| - walk 10 mins per day                      |
| - 1800 calories                                  |

... and, as an example, when "week 2" note was selected (deselecting "week 1" and making the week 1 companion note invisible), then the "week 2" companion note would become visible, like so

[week 1]  *[week 2]*   [week 3]
| - walk 30 mins per day                      |
| - 1500 calories                                  |

... etc.

Another thought, if invisibility is not possible, maybe I could change the z order of the companion notes (i.e. have all companion notes stacked on top of each other, and bring the proper companion note to the front based on which "week x" note is clicked).

I hope this description makes sense (again I am essentially trying to emulate a simple interactive GUI as a proof of concept prototype).

If the thoughts above are possible, or if anybody has any other thoughts, I would love to hear your ideas.

Kind Regards
Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Determine selected Note & make note visible/invisi
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2013, 3:49am

Action code isn't designed (to my understanding) to automate the GUI like this. I'm not aware of an action code method to detect selection per se, but you might be able to simulate this by testing/using either the this or current designators. For the same reasons there's no explicit open/close window command for note text windows but you could use runCommand() to call an applescript macro to sent appropriate keyboard shortcuts for these tasks.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013, 1:15pm

Could you use $HoverExpression to display the required information? A fair amount of information can be displayed when a user selects a note in the Map view.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
SteveS

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2013, 1:48pm

Steve ... thanks for your suggestion RE $HoverExperssion, I will tinker with it.

Cheers!
Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print