Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using map view for tasks and projects (Read 5363 times)
wvaughan

using map view for tasks and projects
Nov 26th, 2013, 10:43pm

One of the main Tinderbox files I use is my task and project list.  I've always done it in outline view with agents pulling out tasks that are due and which have specific contexts. Standard GTD stuff.  

Lately, I've started playing around with map view and using it like a giant white board, and I'm wondering if anyone else does this?  I've seen a small handful of examples around the web (most notably the example about a daybook that I'm too lazy to link to but which is easy to find) but would love to hear from people who have used/are using the map view to visualize all of their projects.

For myself, I'm playing around with a big adornment called "get it done" that's for mundane and routine things that I just have to do; another adornment I'm calling "big picture" where I stick tasks that advance something that is, say, important but not urgent, an agent called "waiting" that collects tasks where I'm waiting for info from someone else, an adornment called "shipping", where I stick stuff that I've completed and sent out but which is still waiting some action (a public hearing, for example); I have an agent called "Hot", which collects tasks I've labeled as needing to get doe ASAP; and lastly I've got a "due" agent which collects stuff sort of like a tickler file from a number of various projects.  And if I get bored with looking at the map I just go back to outline view.

Anyone else do anything like this?  Or have better ideas?  I've run across a handful of examples but most of them are several years old. What's happening now?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: using map view for tasks and projects
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2013, 4:34pm

I did something very close to this for the first stage of planning Tinderbox Six.  I made a big whiteboard-style map with a note for each class on object in Tinderbox, and worked on arrangements of the objects so simple objects could be ported before complex ones, and easily-testable objects could be ported before those that depend on them.

It was only actively in use for a few months, but in that time it proved invaluable.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2013, 8:55am

I've actually gone the other way with my project file(s). I started to find that I was spending too much time over-thinking the map views. On my 27" iMac a giant map can be a wonderful thing, but large maps on the 11" Air aren't quite as useful for me.

I have attached a screenshot of what my simple project maps look like at first. For new projects I just duplicate a "Template" map.

There are 3 adornments: Emails, Tasks, and Notes.

Emails: I drag email from Mail.app onto the Emails adornment and link them into threads and to "People" notes.

Tasks: This adornment sets a note's prototype to "Task" and is my working list of "stuff" to do. Once a task is complete I drag it to the "Completed Tasks" container, which marks it as complete and sets a completion date.

Notes: I drop random notes from meetings and such here. It's my list of working documents. I also link these to relevant email notes. Once done with one of these notes, I drag it into the "Log" container, which datestamps it and allows me to view a Timeline of the project if desired.

If the map is part of a larger document I'll create an agent collecting all of the Tasks and logged Notes, giving me a nice overview (which I view as an Outline). I used to create a giant overview map for this but, as I mentioned above, I tended to spend too much time tweaking it.

Edit: Added link to map

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2013, 8:57am by Jack Baty »  
  IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2013, 1:43am

Belatedly, I wonder if you could re-post the link or map. I don't see it here and would be interested. Jim Fallows

IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2013, 8:21pm

James,

Not sure what happened with the original link, sorry. Here it is again...

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2013, 11:50am

Here's a snapshot of part of the Tinderbox Six planning map I mentioned above.

Each rectangular note represents a class -- or, in a few cases, a cluster of related classes -- in Tinderbox 5.  Blue lozenges represent interfaces and protocols. Test classes are darker. Colors represent implementation status.  The underlying adornments represent functional systems; in a number of cases, emergent structure suggested changes to this large-scale organization.

This was document was invaluable for managing the early stages of Tinderbox Six.

WWW   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2013, 1:49pm

Thanks to JB and MB for these two images. Very interesting and useful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print