Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Tinderbox for studying wine (Read 4035 times)
Skipper

Using Tinderbox for studying wine
Dec 18th, 2013, 9:00am

Hi,

I am taking an education in wine (WSET - Wine & Spirit Education Trust) and wanted to use Tinderbox for this study, to collect my notes about grapes, countries, areas, climates, terroir, types of wine, tasting notes, etc. and also as my base for information about wine. It is a huge study field, and a bit overwhelming.

I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion on how to start with this in Tinderbox. I have tried to create some protypes: ProtGrapes, ProtCountry, etc., but I get stock on what is the best way to proceed with this? If there is some examples, which I could look at, that would be great.

Thank for your help with.
Skipper

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Using Tinderbox for studying wine
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2013, 9:53am

This is a great topic!

My first suggestion would be: organize your notes -- at first, anyway -- the way your course ls organized.  In addition, fence off some adornments or containers for your own notes -- questions to pursue later, wines you want to remember to look for in stores, tasting notes, sources.

Remember: Tinderbox works hard to let you *reorganize* later as your understanding grows and your needs change.  So don't worry too much about getting everything right -- worry instead about getting it all written down!

I think lots of us would be interested in seeing intermediate states if you're wiling to share, or hearing progress reported.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2013, 11:00am

Further to Mark B's thoughts, if you simply feel more comfortable starting with some structure in place but can't see where to start, just make a new TBX and add notes representing all the types of things you'll be collecting. Treat this as a throw-away. It's not for the long term but to help you flush out structure, i.e. attributes/prototypes/templates/stamps/etc., that you can put in a separate 'clean' new file.

So that's not the way, but just one of several ways to get started. Whilst some folk like to just dive in they get stuck in a FOMO (fear of missing out) cycle where they presume that they're missing things by lacking structure. I say this because in most apps (unlike Tinderbox) the structure you miss at outset is hard to put back later.

So I guess approaches boil down to 3:
  • Relaxed. Just put data in Tinderbox and add structure as you go.
  • Want structure but don't know what it is. Use the above method of a 'test' file to flush out your structure. At start, promise yourself you'll throw away (or stop using) the test file so you actually use the clean new file!
  • You know the structure you need. Just build it out before you add any data.
In all cases, don't forget to write notes (in a separate file if you prefer) on how/why you've added structure. Such nuance is easily forgotten over time and useful when you want to tweak things.

A good tip is do not put data you want to analyse in the root of your document. For anything more than trivial notes, it can be really useful to have your data in one (or more) discrete containers. If everything is all siblings in a root level map, analysis via action code/agents can be harder to do.

Another good tip. If you're trying to add new structure, e.g. implement a new prototype or an agent, and can't see straight due to all the data then consider making a small test file. Add enough info you allow you build and check your solution before implementing back in the main file.  If it still doesn't work then you still know the basic concept is sound and can start looking elsewhere for the cause of the problem.

Don't be surprised is there isn't already a model of what you seek to do. After some while helping here and consulting TB projects, the open ended aspect of TB means it moulds to this individual so even those appearing to do the same thing actually use subtly different things.

Meanwhile, you may run aground on a different reef - knowing a task you want to structure but not how to implement it. If so, don't forget this forum. This is just the sort of place others can help you by contributing missing expertise - so just ask. Bear in mid that for more complex questions posting a link to a small TBX that shows the issue in context can help us help you.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Skipper

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2013, 4:51pm

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. I will try to dig a bit deeper.

IP Logged
Mel

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2014, 3:49pm

Skipper, I've just come across this post. I hope you're course is going well (my partner is actually looking to start the same on next Spring).

How did you get on with your TBX file? I'm new to the program and learn best by seeing examples. I was wondering if you had anything you'd consider sharing.

All the best

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print