Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finding Container of Originating Note of Inbounds (Read 1831 times)
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Finding Container of Originating Note of Inbounds
Mar 13th, 2014, 2:09pm

This task is rather straightforward in principle.

I have a container with many notes that is growing quickly. These notes all have inbound links of a type unique to the container.

I will be examining these inbound links to determine the source note, then assigning a badge and setting an attribute for sorting the target notes by originating container.

So (simplified) I have two source containers: named Blog and Essays. (This is simplified; there are several containers, some of them with nested structure.) In these are notes that have links to notes in a third container named Parentheticals. It is the notes in this third container that get badged and sorted.

My anticipated strategy is to create a numerical attribute named $ParenOrig. A rule would look for the incoming link, trace its source, look for its container and protototype. (These two together can identify all cases.)

Then the rule would set the attribute $ParenOrig to 1, 2, and so on based on those source attributes. Once this attribute is set, determining sort order and assigning badges should be easy.

links.inbound."m_parenthetical".$parent

should return the name of the container of the link source, right?

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2014, 2:11pm by Ted Goranson »  
WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Finding Container of Originating Note of Inbounds
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2014, 2:34pm

"$parent" is a reference to a user attribute called "parent".

I think you want the reference to the $Container of the (original of) the linking note. In which case ( - not tested - i'd suggest:

links.inbound."m_parenthetical".$Container(original)

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2014, 2:35pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print