Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Keyboard shortcuts (Read 8842 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Keyboard shortcuts
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2014, 2:39pm

A reason for shortcuts and export not being set is I believe (don't know for certain) that a deeper review of the whole export infrastructure formatted (code)/plain text/image export and image embedding is planned once more basic things are settled down. As someone whose work is export-centric, I'm only to aware of omissions but presume these are to allocated later. So for now, I can live without, to allow for better soon. More fruitful as this stage - while there's scope for UI change - is to look what/how needs exporting. In the wider context flag up things that are appear to be missing or aren't working as expected. You can always email feedback.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2014, 5:46pm

Some minor updates to the v6 Shortcuts: shortcut-changes.pdf

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2014, 3:50am

That's a useful document, Mark.  Thanks very much.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2014, 5:56am

Some shortcut items currently listed in red in the above document may return, but this is the v6.0.0 status quo.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2014, 5:30pm

Quote:
FWIW, I am just weighing in to support the outlook of those who (a) recognize and appreciate all the improvements in TB6 but also (b) really hope for affordances that will permit keyboard-shortcut approaches at least equivalent to TB5. (Ie, menu commands of a sort that allow users to create their own shortcuts via the OS.) I personally place very, very high value on being able to use the keyboard as much as possible, and the mouse as little. Others' preferences vary; just weighing in to express mine.

+1

It's also jarring when an interface doesn't support a keyboard shortcut that is very widely used by other common programs in the same situation, because these things get internalised and you're pulled up short when they don't work. E.g. the Cmd-[/Cmd-] shortcuts to switch tabs are used by Safari, Chrome, Finder, PathFinder, Devonthink, etc. -- in fact I can't find anything on my system with tabs that doesn't support them

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2014, 6:59pm

Except that Tinderbox has used ⌘-[ and ⌘-] for indent/unindent for a decade, as has OmniOutliner and probably Frontier.

With regard to support for menu customization, I'm baffled by the comment above: Tinderbox 6 has superb support for menu customization.

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2014, 7:12pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2014, 2:32am

Of course I meant to type Cmd-[/] i.e. Shift-Cmd-[/] – my typo doesn't change the point!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2014, 10:18am

⇧⌘-/ is now conventional for "Show Help Menu."

Safari currently uses ^-       and ^⇧-       to select the next and previous tabs. I believe those are available in Tinderbox, though the latter is somewhat awkward to use.  Also, I prefer keyboard shortcuts that use ⌘ for a variety of reasons.

In the end, we may well provide menu commands and allow users to set their preferred keyboard shortcuts if they prefer..

WWW   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2014, 11:11am

Quote:
In the end, we may well provide menu commands and allow users to set their preferred keyboard shortcuts if they prefer.

That would be perfect for me

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2014, 2:19pm

Quote:
In the end, we may well provide menu commands and allow users to set their preferred keyboard shortcuts if they prefer..

That's great, thanks -- it's always been the lack of menu commands for certain important functions that has been the real issue rather than the choice of x or y shortcut.

BTW, if you don't already do it, remapping the Caps Lock key to be an extra Control key (in all programs, not just TBX) helps a lot to reduce finger-fatigue with shortcuts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print