Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crashing? (Read 7858 times)
Diane Thompson

Kirkland Lake, ON, Canada
Crashing?
May 30th, 2014, 10:23am

I downloaded version 6 to try it out. †I opened one of my files to see how it would look in the new version, know ing that I can't add anything, but it continues to crash.
The only thing I can think of is that it can't handle more than a few notes because it is not the full version.
Would that indeed be the case? †Would that be why it is crashing so much?
I don't want to purchase it and find it is still crashing constantly and be unusable. †

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014, 5:24pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW Diane Thompson   IP Logged
J Fallows

Re: Crashing constantly
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2014, 10:41am

>>I don't want to purchase it and find it is still crashing constantly and be unusable.<<

1) I suspect that if you send the crash-log files to Eastgate they can quickly tell whether it's a known bug, a new bug, or some other issue.

2) I have been using TB6 for quite a while through the Backstage process, in which you bought "tickets" to be part of the beta experimentation. Through its evolution ó at least 70 formal beta releases ó it has gone through a lot of improvement, debugging, and torture-testing. My experience is that the current release version is quite stable. I'm using it for "real" work on a lot of large and complex files, and it hasn't crashed or frozen for me yet. Some of the betas were quite unstable, but I think that was part of the debugging and tuning process. Not doubting your experience, just saying that for me the current version does work in a stable way.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2014, 11:14am

Every morning for many months, I've awoken to a mailbox of crash reports from the dedicated backstage crew. But for the current version things have been eerily quiet Smiley

People do amazing things with Tinderbox -- often things we never expected. †Some edge cases and other difficulties are bound to arise in such a new version.

If you do have a reproducible change, send the crash report -- or, better yet! send the document! -- to info@eastgate.com .

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014, 11:15am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2014, 1:50pm

Hmm ... I also crashed after upgrading today (registered with new key, etc.)

The crash has not repeated after re-opening the subject file (made with TB 5.12.2 I think.) After some exploration, I was unable to select and move individual notes reliably. I also noticed that my trackpad cursor displayed a hand (for dragging) almost exclusively. I have not been able to select a group of notes graphically by selecting an area that intersects the desired notes ... is that a new thing? (I can, however, Command-click or Shift-click for range selection on multiple notes, just no "rectangular area" selection.)

When I restarted the OS, the ability to actually select a note and then move it returned (but still no rectangular area selection on the map at all) ... so not sure what's happening.

The new design looks really great, though, and despite these oddities I like what I see (overall organization, menus, appearance, etc.)

I'm on Mavericks OS X 10.9.3, Macbook Pro i7, 16 GB RAM. I'll keep exploring and submit a crash report to Eastgate if it recurs in the meantime.

** Update: Now holding the Option button down allows area selection, so unsure of what the deal was there. I switched to TB 5.12.2 and selection worked fine, when I returned to TB 6, voila ... working! Maybe a subtle file load/save issue? Anyway, seems to be working now Cool

*** Update again: the "Keyboard Shortcuts" post identifies holding the Option key down in Map view as allowing area selection, which makes me think I'm just reacting to feature changes, perhaps. I guess all good things require some patience? Wink

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014, 2:21pm by MJ Mastroianni »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Crashing?
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2014, 2:18pm

I haven't heard from either of you yet.  Those crash logs and sample documents would be valuable.

WWW   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2014, 2:25pm

Will do, Mark, I should have saved the only crash I had when it occurred, but I was multitasking at the time to ensure that I don't get anything accomplished today LOL.

I'll certainly send reports for any additional crash occurrences if they happen. Since restarting my MB Pro, no problem Smiley

IP Logged
Diane Thompson

Kirkland Lake, ON, Canada
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 6:44am

Wondering if it could be a memory problem.  I am running Mavericks on 2 GB memory 1067 MHz DDR3 with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor  (MacBook)

WWW Diane Thompson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 7:29am

As a long term tester of TB - where private test versions of the app hold the prospect of crashes - I've learned to not try an predict cause, but to be diligent in sending crash reports with whatever circumstantial evidence I have to hand (e.g. docs I had open, was I doing something particular or unusual at the time). The logs don't always show the exact cause but they generally inform me it wasn't what I imagined!

It may seem a chore to do, but sending in the crash/hang logs really does help. t's enlightened self-interest.  Smiley  

As not everyone knows how to find these logs I'll see if I can knock up and article showing where to look (hang logs are harder for the ordinary user to get at)

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Crashing? Solved!
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 1:07pm

This particular document *does* crash reliably.  It turns out that sync-ing a lot of Simplenote notes -- like a novelís worth -- confuses Tinderbox 6.

Tinderbox 5 simply made you wait while it checked the sync status.  Tinderbox 6 does this invisibly in the background.  But in this case, Tinderbox 6 wound up starting a second sync before the first had time to finish. This was not, and could not come to good.

I expect this to be fixed in the next release.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2014, 12:56pm

To clarify: is the best way to send the crash log via the the dialog box that comes up after a crash? †I can replicate a crash when I explode a note and when I try to sync to simple note.

I just created a new file with 1 note.  Exploding the text of the note replicated a crash.

Steve

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2014, 1:05pm by Steve Scott »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2014, 1:26pm

No: the dialog box that comes up after a crash sends the report to Apple -- which we cannot see!

Please copy the information from that box and email it to info@eastgate.com.  Or just send the log file if that's easier -- you can find it in the Console application or follow Mark Anderson's instructions upthread.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2014, 1:27pm

On the explode crash: we know that Tinderbox 6 crashes if you explode and ask to delete the title, if the title turns out to be the entire note. It's fixed in the current test version.

But additional logs can't hurt.

WWW   IP Logged
james a. foster

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2014, 3:39pm

I just opened TB6 with an existing file and have never done more than 2-3 things before it crashes. Examples:
- switch to outline view of a part of an outline, click on Preview, crash (but not every time!)
- switch from outline to chart view. crash
- switch to timeline. Crash.

Where ARE the crash logs? I will send a couple.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2014, 3:45pm

Info on finding crash logs: see this thread.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2014, 3:52pm

JAF, do send in the crash log and Eastgate might want to take a look at the TBX. If I get a crashy file (I've had some). I run a mental check list:
  • Lots of agents (I've a file with c.1000!).
  • Broken/legacy action code - does the yellow error indicator at the top of the text pane show? You'll know if you see it as it's normally not there.
  • 'Messy' text. Have you ingested/pasted in rich text from lots of sources - sometimes such text conceal the odd encoding TB chokes on.
  • Do you use images.
None of those cause a crash per se, but are worth mentioning if sending on a log. I pound on TB pretty hard and whilst - as expected in early testing - haven't had any corruption.  As I recall rich text is often involved, usually text the originated outside TB

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print