Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Highlighting text (Read 3257 times)
Christian Zwieb

Highlighting text
May 31st, 2014, 4:43pm

Hi,

Can I highlight selected text in TB6?

Chris

czwieb   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Highlighting text
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2014, 4:56pm

Not yet, I believe.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2014, 7:42pm

Not yet.  This seemed an unloved feature of Tinderbox 5.

WWW   IP Logged
Christian Zwieb

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2014, 8:15pm

I highlight text occasionally and find it useful then. I regret that highlighting is lost when opening a TB5 file in TB6. Is there an automated way (I have many notes) for converting highlighted text into some other text format, say into colored or underlined text or maybe a different font, maybe by search/replace of the xml-file?

I see

{\pard\plain\uc0\f0\fs32\cf0\ql\sb120\li360\ri360\tx720\tx1080\tx1440\tx1800\tx2
160\tx2520\tx2880\tx3240 jhsjdshGG JDSFHJKDSHF  {\highlight1 KJHDSFKJH} Flsfdjgldsj fdslsgj.}}

where KJHDSFKJH is highlighted in red.

If a conversion is possible, what would be correct find/replace way?

Thanks,

Chris

czwieb   IP Logged
patrickallo

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2014, 8:39am

I missed it at first as well, but have now settled for a different and more TBox-like approach.

The reason why I liked highlighting is that it's a very natural way of marking valuable pieces of text. Yet, in Tinderbox this would only make sense if the marking itself could be further exploited (e.g. by agents)a bit like in pdf-readers and bibliographic software like Sente where annotated passages automatically become annotations that can be accessed, listed, further annotated etc..

This immediately suggests that in Tinderbox we should rather use embedded notes, since this is where we store information that we want to exploit further.

Currently, instead of highlighting I copy text to an embedded note (possibly with a dedicated "annotation" or "highlighted" prototype. This is slower than highlighting, but I believe also more effective in the long run.

This being said, a "create new note from selection" feature would be nice (the current "explode note" feature isn't ideal for this).

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2014, 1:07am

Quote:
Currently, instead of highlighting I copy text to an embedded note (possibly with a dedicated "annotation" or "highlighted" prototype. This is slower than highlighting, but I believe also more effective in the long run.

This approach is interesting to me. Would you mind doing a step-by-step of how you do it? Thank you.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2014, 2:53am

This also got discussed recently in a separate thread on the footnote feature (also currently missing from v6). An observation was that the process (creating linked sub/sibling notes) was a more generally interesting feature than its title implied. I took this to mean people passed on footnotes as they didn't understand what the feature did.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Christian Zwieb

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2014, 10:25am

On the other hand, TB6 might want to re-implement highlighting and then exploit it. This would be a familiar, more interactive, way of identifying important text snippets.

Chris

czwieb   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2014, 11:14am

Highlight -- meaning setting the background color of a text passage -- will return.

So will something like the footnote tool. But I think they're separate questions.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print