Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Butterflies (Read 6539 times)
Dr Mark

Butterflies
May 31st, 2014, 6:27pm

Moved to TB6 Smiley

Thought I'd create an anti-bug thread and encourage others to pass on a butterfly or two ( Unexpected features that caused an unexpected small piece of joy)

For me it is the search. Not having to look for a search bar but just typing over the outline view - smart and aesthetically pleasing - ta

IP Logged
E P James

Re: Butterflies
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2014, 5:36am

Here's one: I think the new UI somehow makes Tinderbox more `writerly'.

My workflow for a while now has been Scapple ->Tinderbox->Scrivener, and I've noted that with 6 (I've been backstage for a few months) I'm spending substantially more time than previously just writing out prose sections before moving to Scrivener.

The new, even more elegant, text linking helps here too.  

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2014, 5:36am by E P James »  
  IP Logged
BCrane

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2014, 5:43am

I wasn't expecting the move to OSX's autosave and versioning. I like having it.

I also agree that the new version is more writerly. To pick a small example, the ability to edit note titles simply and on the fly in the note view window is a real improvement.

I'd be interested in hearing more detail about the improved linking.

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2014, 5:49am by BCrane »  
  IP Logged
Prem Thomas

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2014, 7:39pm

The new chart view is a hybrid map / outline. Especially when opened on a large monitor, it's a great tool for exploring the structure of a Tinderbox file. I really like the collapse and open function.

IP Logged
Apb123

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2014, 3:18pm

The icon on the tab changes colour according to the colour of the notes in the map view.

IP Logged
Dr Mark

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2014, 6:35am

Dropping in pdf (or rtf and of course txt) files on the left side of outline ( or map) reproduces the text as a simple unformatted text in a new note

Create a note and drop the same pdf (etc...) on the right side of outline and you get a nicely formatted image of the pdf (etc...)

IP Logged
tadmcnulty

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2014, 5:49am

Grateful for unicode everywhere. Now I can input Japanese characters directly into attribute fields and use Japanese in action code and queries. Happy, happy.

IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2014, 3:13pm

I use an application call Moom to move windows around.  I couldn't use it in TB5.  Now I can throw windows around when needed.  i.e. I want one window on half the monitor and another window on the other half.

IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2014, 4:21pm

The little widget that lets you flip the "tag" shape in Map views from pointing left to pointing right in one click – ace!

And the widget that gives fast access to the table expressions for containers in Map view – lots of thought has gone into these little details

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2014, 5:33pm

To add to Steve's lepidoptera, Tinderbox now works with Optimal Layout for quick movement of the windows.

IP Logged
Bill Anderson

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2014, 11:53am

Pinch-zoom in outline mode.
I like my text at large to avoid eye strain. Pinch zoom is a wonderful touch to my favorite program. What an amazing upgrade.
Thanks Mark!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2014, 1:16pm

I think pinch-zoom is even handier in maps.  Don’t forget double-finger double-tap to return to standard magnification (or ⌘-0) !

WWW   IP Logged
BCrane

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2014, 5:05pm

The small circle with an "i" attached to links in map view is amazingly useful. Everything I need to adjust link types and appearances is one click away. Great addition.

(I haven't used the "x" yet but it's there too, waiting.)

IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2014, 2:32pm

Just discovered "Duplicate" in the File menu. Might have been there in TB 5 but I never used it. But I really like the ease with which I can duplicate an existing TB file to try something out without munging the current one. Kudos! Cheesy

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2014, 5:36am

Working on some very messy text archives of a mailing list. Working with Outline/Column view and careful use of agents, I've been very impressed with speed of progress. One could do this in a database but the data's so inconsistent; different email programs mangle emails different ways so you need to be able to refer back to texts. Admittedly I did use BBEdit to seed Explode markers for TB as the archives lack a consistent item delimiter.

Column view on a large (27") screen is a nice improvement on v5 as is handling of containers with large numbers of children.

I'm also impressed by TB's retention of data. A couple of time I have (user error) put bad complex code in an agent and had to force quit. On re-start the doc and data's still there. A confidence booster.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print