Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linking notes from one tab to another (Read 3106 times)
James Regan

Linking notes from one tab to another
May 31st, 2014, 6:52pm

The "link parking space" works fine when linking one note to another in a single tab. However, when I park a source link in one tab and then attempt to link it to another note in a different tab, the "source parked link" in the first tab disappears as soon as I click on the other tab.

The online help seems to indicate that traversing tabs to link notes is possible.

Lastly, In TBX 5 you could easily link 3 notes fairly quickly to 3 other notes. Has link parking, its replacement, become a single-threaded activity?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Linking notes from one tab to another
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2014, 7:39pm

When I tried this, it worked fine.

a: In a new document, create notes A and B.
b: In the map view tab, drag a link from A into the main parking space.
c: Switch to the outline view tab.
d: Drag the link from the parking space to B.  Voila!

Note that the text pane parking space is tied whatever is selected in the current text pane.

The triple-decker parking spaces in Tinderbox seemed like a great idea when we introduced them, but seem lightly used in practice.  Multiple parking spaces could well return.

WWW   IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2014, 8:21pm

In my particular situation, I attempted to do it in outline view only, where each tab shows a different part of the outline. Maybe I am not using the tool correctly, but in TBX 5, linking in map view didn't scale very well for me. I found that creating links in map view quickly became unwieldy, so I lived in outline view. I have approximately 300 notes (and growing) that are linked to approximately 50 - 60 entries in various permutations.

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2014, 8:23pm by James Regan »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2014, 8:45pm

As far as I know, using the main (upper left-hand corner of the window) parking space works exactly the same way in map and in outline views.

WWW   IP Logged
James Regan

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2014, 9:22pm

It does work. I was using the tool incorrectly. I was trying to link with the parking link located on the individual note. Great. Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print