Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what are the basics of links? (Read 3043 times)
Steve Scott

what are the basics of links?
May 31st, 2014, 7:58pm

In theory, I understanding the idea of linked notes, but I'm not really sure how you use them in practice. Can someone shed light on how you use them or answer any of the questions below? 

1.  Can you follow a link from one note to another?  I see that there is something called "Browse Links."  If two links are on the same map, I see a line between the related thoughts.  What if there is a connection to another part of the document?  Is there a way to jump between them?

2. I see a visual cue in the map view that there is a link.  Is there a visual cue in the outline view that there are links to a note?

3.  Is there a way to open notes that are linked?

4.  Is there a way to click through linked notes you would on a web browser?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Steve

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2014, 7:59pm by Steve Scott »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: what are the basics of links?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2014, 8:47pm

Tinderbox 5.12 has a good HELP manual with a chapter on links that applies equally to Tinderbox 6

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2014, 10:08am

"Can you follow a link from one note to another?" Yes. If the link is in $Text you can just click on it. Otherwise open View -> Roadmap and double-click the item to which you wish to navigate.  The Text (right) pane of the window will switch context. If the link's target note is visible in the left hand side' main view, selection will move to the target, otherwise nothing is selected.

"If two links are on the same map, I see a line between the related thoughts." If link source and target are not both on the same map no line is drawn. In v5, for such links an in or outbound stub of a link line was drawn.

"What if there is a connection to another part of the document?  Is there a way to jump between them?" Use Roadmap view (no shortcut - at present).

"I see a visual cue in the map view that there is a link.  Is there a visual cue in the outline view that there are links to a note?" No.For more than a trivial amount links the display would become a mess. Likewise Chart view does not draw links lines. The latter are a map-only feature.

"Is there a way to open notes that are linked?". Yes, see the answer to your first question.

"Is there a way to click through linked notes you would on a web browser?". Yes, see the answer to your first question.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2014, 10:33am

Thanks for your patience.  I'm re-reading TBX manual 5 and I read The Tinderbox Way chapter on links.

I suppose part of the reason for my confusion is in TBX 5 I navigated links exclusively through the contextual menu.  

I used to control click on a note and see the links at the bottom of the contextual menu.  Here is a screenshot from TBX 5:

Trying to follow the links in TBX 6 using the contextual menu, I end up with:

Thanks for the tip on Roadmap view-- that is very helpful.  

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2014, 10:35am by Steve Scott »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2014, 3:00pm

To see the anchor text of text links - i.e. links from $Text - hold down Cmd+OP.  In v5 a box was drawn around each anchor. In v6, the anchor is underlined - like a default style HTML link.

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2014, 3:01pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print