Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A short tutorial on Inheritance (Read 2288 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
A short tutorial on Inheritance
Jun 5th, 2014, 6:59am

See the tutorial here: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/gyjw3t

Questions/comments welcomed. It's in HTML so non-English speakers should be able to run Google Translate on the text to help get a sense of meaning.

« Last Edit: Jun 05th, 2014, 7:01am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Apb123

Re: A short tutorial on Inheritance
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2014, 8:47am

You clearly have put a lot of work into this. Thank you. I will read it when I have a spare hour (or two).

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2014, 8:47am by Apb123 »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2014, 11:00am

Yes, I'm sorry it not short but any shorter and you'd just have loads of questions. I figure better to read through the once and get a real appreciation. It's the tutorial I wish i'd had when I first used TB. Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2014, 2:13am

For me the clincher was the point about outline based inheritance. It should be IN RED, BOLD and FLASHING ......

BTW, I understand the comment about any pointers for resources on making it work - ?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2014, 3:45am

People's experience/use varies. In truth, the reference to outline-hierarchy was entirely in response to the point you raised. That said I've used the app since 2004 and had never heard of the issue - I guess I just learned the TB approach when I started with the app. It's just one of the daily reminders I get that it's hard to predict how other people use the app. It'd not a right/wrong thing, simply one of difference.

Quote:
pointers for resources on making it work

Can you clarify? The doc I wrote tells you pretty much everything you need to know. Is the problem abstracting the concepts to your own work?

For what it's worth, prototype strategies—beyond single instances of use—diverge rapidly so demos tend to be very tightly bound to a particular scenario or workflow…at which point someone always complains that it's of little use as it's not their scenario! That's why I'm happy to leave that sort of task to someone else - it's a significant amount of labour for little gain. It's more productive use of time to answer questions on specifics (as here) and document features (as in aTbRef).

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2014, 3:45am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print