Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Footnotes given the boot? (Read 5288 times)
tadmcnulty

Footnotes given the boot?
Jun 05th, 2014, 7:57am

In previous versions of Tinderbox I often made footnotes by selecting text within a note and pressing Shift-Command-F or clicking “Footnote > Add Footnote as Child” in the “Note” menu. In the new version, the keyboard shortcut no longer works and the menu option is gone. Is there a way in Tinderbox 6 achieve the same effect, in other words, to select text within a note and generate a child note with the selected text as its title and links to and from the parent note?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Footnotes given the boot?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2014, 8:22am

In short 'No'.  My understanding is a number of thought-to-be lightly-used features have been left late in the v6 process and some (Path, History, location views) may not return.

The note and note+ link types are still in the v6 docs, so you can manually re-create the process, but I doubt that's what you want. For a better view on the plans for footnotes you might do better to email Eastgate.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2014, 1:34pm

I expect Footnote will return in some form.

WWW   IP Logged
tadmcnulty

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2014, 4:55am

Now I know how my father felt when I took it upon myself to clean up his workbench. How was I to know that the rusty screwdriver - with a broken handle and a worn-down blade with the corner chipped off - was the perfect tool for adjusting the fuel intake of the lawnmower engine. (I retrieved the tool from the junk box and gave it a prominent place on the pegboard over the workbench).

But maybe “Footnote”  is a tool I no longer need. Once I learned to use a kitchen knife properly, the garlic press, lemon zester and countless other gadgets became drawer clutter. I really appreciate the cleaned up menus of TinderboxSix. Maybe I don’t need a new widget but a better way.

I’ll email a sample document to Eastgate for advice later (maybe after things over there cool down a bit).

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2014, 5:10am

By all means ask a question here in the meantime.  I'll help if I can.

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2014, 5:18am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2014, 5:37am

Rubric for manually making v5-style footnotes.

1. Note-level footnote (i.e. not from $Text selection).
  • Copy current note's name.
  • Make a new note - as sibling or child.
  • Name the note "note for [paste copied title]".
  • Drag a link from the source to the footnote; link type 'note'.
  • Drag a link from the footnote to the source note; link type 'note+'.
2. $Text-based footnote (i.e. from $Text selection).
  • Select the source note text to reference, and copy selection to clipboard.
  • Make a new note - as sibling or child.
  • Name the note using the copied text from the source note.
  • Drag a link from the source text selection to the footnote; link type 'note'.
  • Drag a link from the footnote to the source note; link type 'note+'.
Depending on your screen size, view type and using sibling/child, you may need to use link parking spaces to do the linking. If using map view and wanting child footnotes, it's easier to make them as siblings, add the links and then drop them onto the source note (or into a footnote container if you prefer).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2014, 4:35pm

Can I add another voice to request that this feature is returned to Tbx6? Far from being a little-used feature, it's something I use nearly every day.

FWIW, a typically use is for taking notes on sets of interviews I've conducted, sets of of web clippings, or other sets of research notes. The interviews have a prototype with an OnAction to set another prototype for their children (e.g. NoteFragment or something). Their is an attribute $Source that I manually set in the interview note (e.g. the interviewee's initials, or a code if anonymising). The NoteFragment prototype has a Rule to set $Source=$Source(parent), and a DisplayExpression to add the $Source after the $Name. Then I just fly through the interview without taking my hands off the keyboard: select bit of text of interest, Shift-Cmd-F, (optionally add some text to the note, or sometime I'll hit Enter to edit the fragment so it makes more sense in isolation), Cmd-W to close note and return to the source material ready to take the next note.

Then I will have an agent that collects the NoteFragments (which of course display their source and are linked back to it) and typically I'll review and code in a Map view.

Much easier than say TAMS Analyzer for rough&ready qualitative research, and one of my primary use cases for Tinderbox, so I really hope this returns! Doing it manually wouldn't be practical for the volume of notes I take, and in any case far less efficient.

IP Logged
Alex Strick van Linschoten

Holland
Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2014, 5:27pm

I wasn't aware of this tool/shortcut, but now that you outline that use case, I can imagine it being extremely useful. Perhaps there's a way to do it with the 'clip to tinderbox' tool?

WWW strickvl   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2014, 4:18pm

Quote:
Can I add another voice to request that this feature is returned to Tbx6? Far from being a little-used feature, it's something I use nearly every day.

I also think this is a valuable feature.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2014, 4:47pm

Abstracting from this, the point is thus less the formal concept of footnotes, than rapid creation of linked sub-notes.  I'm minded to note this based on conversations of people who ought to use this sort of noting/linking but "don't do footnotes". Im other words the process is more important that the name. I'd add lest it's not clear - I'm not suggesting people upthread are over-stressing the footnotes concept. Rather, I'm musing on the fact that the term 'footnotes' might not be optional for the feature/process.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2014, 7:40am

Yes, it has nothing to do with footnotes for me. I think the feature might be better used if it had a name that better reflected it's value as you described it.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2014, 12:34am

I am in article-composition mode, and I wanted to be specific about some of the details of the footnote-counterpart in TB6. Mark A usefully lays out the steps as:

Quote:
* Select the source note text to reference, and copy selection to clipboard.
* Make a new note - as sibling or child.
* Name the note using the copied text from the source note.
* Drag a link from the source text selection to the footnote; link type 'note'.
* Drag a link from the footnote to the source note; link type 'note+'.

I have a question about the one in bold. Do you mean using the entire excerpt as a new note's $Name, even if it could be several sentences long? Or were you having in mind a few words from the selected text, to give the main idea of it? I ask because this specific process is one I'm about to employ, as I go through a lot of research notes to find the parts I want to identify for possible use in an article.

Once again, thanks!

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2014, 3:24am

I think that's probably a judgement for you to make depending on how much text there is and how comfortable you are in seeing large amounts of text in the outline. Personally, for something over a few words, I'd summarise or just include the first few words and "..." depending on the quote and length.

You can always include the full text in the body of the 'footnote' as it's still in the clipboard and it's only three extra key strokes to include it. (Edit the name, Enter, opt-tab to the text field, cmd-v to copy...)

It's still a clunky process though, and hopefully the built-in facility will return in future versions.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2014, 4:42am

JF - DB has already answered for me. What I described previously is exactly what TB v5 does. As DB points out, if you're simply replicating the process manually, it's really up to you how much of a long name you use.

Side note.  In v5 Cmd+] and Cmd+[ navigated TB links back/forward. Forward's no issue in v6; it's easier - just click the link. However, there's no quick way to traverse back along that link and the footnote's link back to source is a basic link. So, an idea. Make the first word of your v6 foot note an explicit text link back to the source note, or insert a text like "[Back]" at the start of $Text and make that the anchor for the 'note+' back-link. Whatever - if you're rolling your own you have the choice to choose what suits best.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print