Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Text Export templates (Read 4839 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Text Export templates
Jun 05th, 2014, 6:37pm

To help those adjusting to export changes in v6 and who wish to use plain text export, I've created a little demo file. This should give a safe sandbox to get the hang of things from which you can transfer working ideas to your own files.

The demo is here.

The demo uses prototypes to help make things easy. Still learning about prototypes? See this tutorial.

If you get stuck. Just ask. The process isn't hard, but can be a little confusing until you see how all the moving pieces of the puzzle work together.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Re: Text Export templates
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2014, 7:31pm

Mark A, as always, thanks for your generosity and clarity in spelling this out. I speak as someone who has found the export world to be the murkiest in the otherwise so inviting realm of Tinderboxlandia.

Your tutorial/demo, as I see it, actually highlights what is one of the awkward aspects of the current arrangement. Namely, changing your selection of an export template.

If you have not yet chosen a template for HTML exports, then it's very easy to do! You just choose from a drop-down list. But once you have made a choice, switching to some other template is anything but transparent or easy. You have to go to the GetInfo popup window, then you have to *correctly* type in the path and name of the template you want, rather than choosing from a list. This makes it a chore to try different templates.

I know (a) that you're aware of this and (b) that you're not coding the program. Until there is a design-level solution, what do you recommend as the least-difficult way of working around this situation, for trying different templates? Eg: setting up a Stamp to do the switching, by changing the $HTMLExportTemplate attribute? Going into GetInfo and zeroing out the value for that attribute, so you can get the dropdown list again? Somehow doing this via prototypes?

I imagine that the program itself will eventually make it more of a no-brainer to do simple text export, printing, and PDFs than it is now. In the interim, what do you suggest?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2014, 4:25am

Quote:
If you have not yet chosen a template for HTML exports, then it's very easy to do! You just choose from a drop-down list.

No. You mis-understand. The method you describe NOT the main method for selecting an export template; I really think that's worth stressing for anyone reading this thread. The normal method - by design intent as I understand it - is, as in v5, the HTML Inspector (in v5 HTML View). The pop-up you describe is a help in case you have no template set.

To my eyes the actual, inter-linking problems are these:
  • The is no app/doc level preference/setting to set the default template
  • Without a default template the whole code/preview aspect of the text pane becomes meaningless.
  • The is no File -> Export Current note (v5 HTML view's 'Export' button).
So, please, please don't hang onto the notion that the Text/HTML pane pop-up is the way you pick template as you're learning an approach. Use the HTML Inspector (i.e. HTML view) as intended.

Quote:
what do you recommend as the least-difficult way of working around this situation, for trying different templates?

Use the HTML Inspector:

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2014, 9:58am

OK, thanks, I understand what you are saying.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2014, 11:07am

Phew, was worried I'd over-stressed my point. I'm just keen folk's enjoyment of v6 isn't nerfed by starting - albeit inadvertantly - from the wrong place.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
james a. foster

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2014, 2:18pm

yes, this is helpful. Working with legacy documents with lots of html export templates is proving to be the biggest headache for me in switching.

IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2014, 9:26am

Good morning, thanks Mark Anderson for your tutorial file. I would like to know and to understand more than I do about the export templates work, but the fact is that it is too much complicated for me for the present time and I can't export my notes in text format as I used to in Tbx 5. Therefore I do need your help. Is there any way to copy the text of my notes in order to paste it in an other application ? Or do I have to export my notes in the html format you indicated ? And in this second way, where do I save my notes in the inspector window ? There are a lot of questions ! Thank you so much for your help !

Twitter : @dominiq_renauld
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2014, 10:07am

You can certainly copy and paste the text of individual notes.

Text export will return, never fear.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2014, 1:34pm

To copy a note's export plain text content:
  • Make sure your using a plain text template (how to do that is discussed in other threads here).
  • Select the 'HTML' tab in the text pane. Don't be confused by the 'HTMl' bit - you're simply looking at the output of the export template you've applied.
  • Drag-select all the text in that pane (using the Cmd+A shortcut to 'select all' doesn't always seem to work at present).
  • With the text selected, right click and select 'copy' from the pop-up menu (Again, shortcuts don't consistently work on this pane just now so use the context menu).
  • You have now 'exported' your plain text which you can past wherever you like.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2014, 1:57pm

Quote:
I would like to know and to understand more than I do about the export templates work, but the fact is that it is too much complicated for me for the present time and I can't export my notes in text format as I used to in Tbx 5.

I agree with this, notwithstanding my overall enthusiasm for all the new features built into TB6. Therefore I am glad to hear that some version of simple text export is returning.

I think the quandary/challenge on the users' side is that programs with 1% the overall power of TB still have no-brainer printing and text-export facilities as part of their basic feature set. Thus it is a quandary for us to have a program with such elegant and powerful features but that still struggles (more precise: makes this complex for the user) in this very simple-seeming function.

Looking forward to the solution the Eastgate workshop comes up with.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print