Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
General issues with maps view (Read 8626 times)
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
General issues with maps view
Jun 08th, 2014, 10:55pm

Hi,
I haven't seen many comments here about maps, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
For me, the map view is basically unusable because it will randomly:
- slow down tinderbox to the point where actions are delayed by a few seconds (such as moving notes around)
- prevent me from moving notes (i can select them, but can't move them)
- show me a part of the map, but prevent me from moving around in the map view, to access other notes

I've been looking for preferences that would toggle this weird behaviour, but can't find any. It's happened in various documents, all newly created in TB6.
Does anybody else face similar problems?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: General issues with maps view
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2014, 10:43am

We've had scattered reports of map problems, but we've not observed them despite hundreds of hours of work in map view.  Personally, I'm a very heavy map view user.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2014, 11:49am

Paul, was this related to your issue with TextExpander, that turned out to be your Mac needing a restart?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rob Stanhope

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2014, 10:26pm

I too have had a problem with moving notes in Map view. I'm still getting to know Tinderbox, so I've assumed I'm misunderstanding a new function in Map view. When I create a new Tinderbox6 file and enter three or four notes in Map view, I'll try to rearrange them, but they seem to be locked in place. Guide lines appear as I try to move the notes, but the notes won't budge at all. I've tried selecting "Cleanup" to automatically rearrange them, but nothing happens. The only remedy seems to be restarting Tinderbox. Would you recommend that I delete Tinderbox and reinstall it?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2014, 3:15am

It seems a few people are having gremlins of this sort but a problem is that the effect can't be produced on demand to it's hard to diagnose. I'd suggest emailing support with a bit more surrounding detail; at this point, the more context the better.  Usefully you've mentioned it happening with new notes in a new file - where we might assume (true?) that no agents or other complexity is yet in place. Does it happen with every file or only with some, etc. Sorry if that's a chore.

There's no harm in deleting your exiting TB app, clearing the trash, re-downloading and installing TB v6.0.0 but only as a general refresh. In the same way you could try re-booting.  I very rarely re-boot my desktop Mac, outside OS upgrades but occasionally I do so as a 'well I've tried everything else' approach and in truth sometimes gremlins just go away. That can help the immediate problem but of course it leaves one no wider as to the cause of the issue.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Apb123

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2014, 7:18am

I am also having an issue moving notes in map view. Can select but not move them.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 7:18am by Apb123 »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2014, 7:28am

Known issue - cause/trigger as yet unknown. I just found that if I double-click the map and add a new note, everything recovers in terms of selecting/dragging (though I have to remember to delete the new note).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mgr

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2014, 7:36am

Hi,

I also had the problem of not being able to move notes in map view. After I trashed the preferences files (com.eastgate....)  notes regained their mobility.

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2014, 9:20am

Another issue that's just surfaced for me with map view:

I have a map with 12 notes and several links between them.

Cmd-opt-O to get to outline.
Cmd-opt-M to get back to the map view - the notes have disappeared from view, although the links remain in sight. I need to take some action to activate screen refresh (drag the background, toggle full map view with cmd-6 etc) before the notes will appear.

Before toggling outline on and then off:

After toggling -- note how the whole map has shifted to the left, although the notes aren't being displayed.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2014, 10:27am

This is fixed in the next release (currently being tested backstage); in the mean time, selecting a note or clicking on the current tab will refresh the display.

WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2014, 4:16pm

Thanks for the update, Mark.

IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2014, 4:44pm

Not sure if this has come up, it may be a feature by design ...

I've noticed that when I use the pinch/zoom gesture on my Macbook Pro's trackpad to enlarge or shrink the current map view, the response varies a lot depending on where my cursor (the "hand" cursor) is located. If the cursor is hovering over a note, the response to zooming is very slow or delayed; if I move the cursor to the map background, zooming is smooth and seemingly infinite (nice touch here, Mr. Bernstein, kudos ...)

I'm thinking that the pinch/zoom behavior should be consistent irrespective of cursor location inside a map view (or at least, it's my initial preference?) It made me wonder if perhaps Tinderbox wants to behave differently when the cursor hovers over a note ... but I'm not sure for what purpose, if that's what's intended.

I'm really liking the new design so far in toto, though ...

(Note: Running latest Mavericks on an i7 MBP, 16 GB RAM)

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2014, 10:09pm

We're not seeing this pinch-zoom behavior here. Perhaps emailing a sample document that displays it to info@eastgate.com will help.  

Pinch-zoom demands *lots* of computation in complex maps. It seems like a simple thing, but a pinch zoom may require lots of typography, image scaling, recalculating Gaussian shadows, and recompositing layers. So different views fare differently.

WWW   IP Logged
Bill Anderson

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2014, 12:07pm

Regarding the locked notes in map view, I have had the same problem, now fixed.
1. I had versions 5 and 6 on my machine.
2. In Tb6, my old starter file would not allow me to move notes in map view.
3. A new, default document in Tb6 worked fine, no issues.

I deleted both versions of the application and restarted. Now all documents work as expected.

IP Logged
Russel

textbook author,
educator,
instructional
designer

Santa Fe, NM
TB5 & TB6 interactions in Map view.
Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2014, 7:37pm

Bill Anderson's remedy worked for me.
Strange behavior stopped after I deinstalled both versions, then reinstalled TB6. Now the Map view doesn't jump around on me the way it used to.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print