Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
General issues with maps view (Read 8624 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: General issues with maps view
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2014, 3:14am

There should be no issue with having v5 and v6 installed - indeed I have both those and beta versions installed without issue (apart from taking more care to open TBXs in the right version!).

I believe the cause of the 'locked map' issue has now been found and should be resolved in the next release. The issue is in the current v6.0.0 app, as opposed to other factors. In the meantime, opening/closing the current doc/app will likely resolve the impasse albeit temporarily until the proper fix is in place.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mebiel

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2014, 1:26am

It's too bad, map view is nearly unusable for me.  Lots of odd behavior (e.g. different colored outlines of shapes depending on the zoom level; try to resize a shape and all shapes move at once; lost notes put into containers...).

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2014, 9:15am

Mebiel: none of these have been reported. We've not had a report of missing notes from any beta, much less release.  Please send example documents and screen shots to tech support and we'll investigate.  info@eastgate.com

The issue with border colors is known, but it only occurs just before the border is about to become too small to see. It's an artifact of anti-aliasing when the border width is smaller than a pixel. We’ll have it sorted presently but it's a minor, transient distraction.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2014, 9:34am

Note's put in containers aren't 'lost', albeit not perhaps where intended.  If not moved via action code, then they were inadvertently dropped on a container whilst moving notes around the map. v6 uses the same method as v5 to indicate a potential drop:

The (potential) container is shown with a red line around it.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mebiel

Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2014, 7:46pm

Just to clarify. I lost some notes once, yesterday before I posted. It may have been an error on my part.  I know the issue of losing notes is a big deal so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.  The gist of my post was how unhappy I am with the experience of working in maps view -  Mark mentioned "gremlins" and that describes my experience thus far, i.e. unpredicatable, small problems and inconsistent responsiveness that gets in the way when I'm trying to concentrate and get work done.

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2014, 8:13pm by mebiel »  
  IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #20 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 2:21pm

[v6.0.1]

When I select a note in map view and drag it around the map, the other (non-selected) notes in the map also move a small, seemingly random distance as well in the general direction of the movement.  Drag a note towards another note and it looks almost as though the second is running away from the first... When there are several other notes and links in view, the effect is quite disconcerting, as though the map itself is dancing drunkenly...

I presume it's something to do with the map trying to redraw itself as the drag is being made to keep a set of the notes in view, but the effect is visually quite odd, with individual notes or blocks of notes making random leaps of sometimes a centimetre or two. It's noticeably different from the old v5 behaviour where only the selected note moved until the mouse was released.

Is this a known issue?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:27am

In very small maps, moving a note is likely to change the boundaries of the map -- and the map might recenter itself, effectively moving the other notes.  This is known, slightly irritating, but I've not seen a scenario where it's worse than that.

WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2014, 10:37am

In the map I have (under 30 notes), dragging one to the side of the display causes the others to move back and forth repeatedly by about a centimetre.

If it's by design, rather than a bug, then it's not a priority issue.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2014, 5:52pm

We're not seeing this; please email an example and instructions for reproducing the problem.

WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2014, 6:18pm

Email sent....

IP Logged
Demogorgon

Reply #25 - Jun 25th, 2014, 4:29am

The scroll-position of container note in Map View changes whenever (1) I change the outline level in the view and return to the original container, or (2) I click on a tab and then return to the original Map View.  This is not an issue in TB 5.

For example, here's the original scroll-position:

Then I click on the Outline View tab for a sec:

Then I click back on the original Map View tab and the position is "reset" to some default:

Any known fixes for this?

IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #26 - Jun 25th, 2014, 11:04pm

Just a quick note back - since I seemed to have opened a can of worms with my OP

As far as I can tell, a combination of uninstall / reinstall, getting rid of TB5 and the new 6.0.1 begin installed as gotten rid of all the gremlins I was experiencing .

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print