Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
changing color of text in outline (Read 2999 times)
wvaughan

changing color of text in outline
Jun 13th, 2014, 9:35pm

This will be one of those questions where, when I see the answer, I'll slap my forehead, but here goes:

How can I change the color of the title of a note in outline view?  When I open up the inspector and go to  the "T" tab, I can change the color to whatever I want, but it doesn't affect the color of the text in outline form. When i switch over to map view, the text is the color I want it to be. Can't figure out how to make it do the same in outline form.

thanks.

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Re: changing color of text in outline
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2014, 2:40am

The foreground colour of the text in outline view is linked to the attribute $Color, which also defines the background colour of the note in map view.

You can adjust in the inspector either on the third tab (Properties Inspector / Quickstamp and type in Color in the search field) or on the fourth tab (Appearance Inspector / Interior / Color).

HTH

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2014, 11:36am

Further notes:

$Color is:
  • The colour of a note's title in Outline or Chart view (and all column data for that item if column view is on). N.B. The Doc Settings -> Outlines tab's 'Darker colors' may make some colours draw darker than the actual $Color value (darker colours is on by default).
  • In Map view the face of the note icon is drawn in $Color. $Color 2 is used as an 'accent' colour for patterns and progress bars.
  • The colour of the note's title at the top of the text pane. As at v6.0.0 there is a glitch whereby if you change the $Color of the current note the title colour in the text pane doesn't update until the text pane is re-drawn, e.g. by switching to another tab and back.
In Map view the colour of the note's name is automatically set to black or white but can be set to a specific colour by $NameColor.

In map view the colour of subtitles ($SubtitleColor) , captions ($CaptionColor), drop shadows ($ShadowColor) can be altered. The colour of $Text shown on the face of a map icon can be set via $MapBodyTextColor. Most (all?) of these can be set via the various Inspector panes.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
wvaughan

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2014, 11:50am

Thanks guys.  That helps. That brings me to my next challenge:

in trying to change the background color of the outline itself, I have accidentally caused all text on my outline to appear redacted.  The color of the words is the color I want it (per the thread above), but now each outline note is redacted in a large black color. I can kinda/sorta read the text in (my new and preferred!) color underneath the black redaction, but can't get the redaction to go away.

I was playing around the the "background" color in the appearance inspector when it happened, and now can't get it to return to normal.

thanks.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014, 11:58am by wvaughan »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2014, 12:40pm

Did you perhaps set OutlineBackgroundColor?

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014, 12:40pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
wvaughan

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2014, 2:41pm

perhaps...how might i find that particular attribute?  I'm not figuring out how to retrace my steps or where that option is.  I sorta new how to do that kind of thing in tbx5, but tbx6 is a whole new game and i'm pretty lost when it comes to doing anything beyond the basics (and by basics I mean adding new notes.  altering preferences, agents, etc. is gibberish at this point).

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2014, 2:49pm

At the moment the documentation is a little lacking in some area, but v6 has a couple of new ways to find attributes that are really helpful.

E.g. highlight the notes you want to change, then cmd-1 to bring up the inspector, click on the 3rd tab to bring up the Properties Inspector, click on the Quickstamp icon, then type OutlineBackgroundColor in the search field.

Or, for a single note cmd-opt-i to bring up the Get Info box, click on attributes, then again use the search field.

It's worthwhile spending some time exploring the Inspector -- most of the useful things you can change are in there somewhere.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014, 4:22pm by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
wvaughan

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2014, 4:06pm

Magic. Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print