Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Daybook/Bullet Journal (Read 3610 times)
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Daybook/Bullet Journal
Jun 19th, 2014, 12:16pm

Hi All,

I use a paper notebook to bullet journal. For some time I've wanted to digitise this as I need a record of things I've done for tax purposes and to be able to search it. TB seems ideal.

I've set up my prototype to to display the date the note was created with its name.

My first question is about the best method to enter the text. With a bullet journal everything is bulleted. Should I:

1. Use outline mode and create a new note inside the day's note with the names of the bullet notes containing the information?
ie:
Entries
 -19 Jun: Conference
     - note 1
     - note 2
OR

2. Use the day's note text field and write and bullet everything there, so I'm using one note for one day.

Are there advantages or disadvantages to either of the above.

I have created a "category" and "tag" attribute that each note is tagged with so I can find relevant info.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Daybook/Bullet Journal
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2014, 12:28pm

Tinderbox works best, with lots of small notes. I'd use an outline and a note per event and year/month/day containers.  The only downside is not being able to see all items for a given range is a single run of text. But using agent or rules it's easy to concatenate a whole lot of note's text into one so that's not a real limitation. v5's Nakakoji view has gone in v6, but I don't doubt something and better will replace it in due course.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2014, 12:48pm

Thanks Mark,

I've added a time stamp to the entries that are events under the day, so I now have:

Entries
-19 Jun: Daily Log
   - 19 Jun 17:41: updated forum post

Does that seem about right? I realise that I need to be able to alter the time stamp for events that are entered after the event. I imagine a user attribute to set a date and time would suffice?

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2014, 1:13pm

Personally - others may differ, I'd not repeat day info in the title of the event info, it just makes for a busy UI. You can see the data from the container's name, and I assume you've got some date/time attribute for the event so you could show that as a note key attribute if required.

The difficulty in answering this question, is there's no standard way to do this and TB's a many-facetted tool. Without knowing your likes/hates and how you use to data it's hard to be too specific. For instance, if you're forgetful you might want to automate recording some part of the process that another person wouldn't because they're more meticulous, etc. Also, don't overlook that it's not just a data entry/visualisation task. The real test is does the accumulated record give you a useful reference and can you find what you'd want. I'd also most start with the latter to force the constraints for how I structure my data, what attributes are needed, etc.

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2014, 1:15pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2014, 1:30pm

The reason for the repeated date is if the note appears in a search, I'm not sure the container automatically appears. Let's say I want to see all notes with "meeting with Simon". If I search they would be listed, but I wouldn't see when they occurred. Another issue would be that I might end up with many notes entitled "meeting with Simon" and the date time stamp would make them unique. Some of my meetings occur at the same time each month so the time stamp is not unique enough. I noticed that TB5 didn't like notes with the same name.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2014, 3:23pm

Tb has no problem with notes with the same name as they each have a different $Path. What TB can't do - if you have N notes with the same - is guess which noe you meant. In such a scenario, if forced to pick one it always picks the first by $OutlineOrder.

Other things to consider before fixing your design are display and hover expressions. Also consider. Not knowing which of 3 meeting with simon is which is annoying, but if you meet with Simon say at least 3 times a week the date doesn't help much unless you've a ninja memory.

If the intended main means of finding things is Find, rather than the more nuanced search of an agent, you might also consider your note naming strategy early on so that you avoid too many similar named notes. There's no one right way.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print