Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
strategy for individualized lesson plan (Read 3538 times)
Steve Scott

strategy for individualized lesson plan
Jun 20th, 2014, 3:18pm

I'm helping a colleague explore evaluate Tinderbox for possible purchase.  

The goal of the TBX would be generate a weekly list of "drills" or "exercises" for the students to accomplish.  Each student would have an individual web page that listed their drills for the week with urls to the videos, audio files, etc.  

I would set that up in the following way:

John Doe
      Week 1 (10 min)
                Exercise 1 (duration 5 min)
                Exercise 8 (duration 5 min)

Jane Doe (15 min)
       Week 1
                Exercise 1 (duration 10 min)
                Exercise 2 (duration 5 min)

So, the prototypes would be

- Student (attributes: first name, last name, etc. display expression= total exercise time)
- Exercise (attributes: duration, audio file, video link, instructions, etc)

If all of the exercises were the same duration for all of the students, no problem.  I would recommend just making an alias of each exercise and dragging it into the appropriate container.  Since the duration of the exercise is going to change based on the individual and the week, I was thinking the only way to accomplish this would be to create a different prototype for each exercise.  The problem is there are hundreds of possible exercises.  The $text and attributes of the $url will be identical-- the only thing that changes is the duration.

I think I can get this solution to "work" but having 100 prototypes might be cumbersome.  

The other solution would be to have a container filled with possible exercises.  The teacher would then duplicate the exercise and drag it into the appropriate container.  I suppose you could create some sort of action to rename it in such a way that you don't have Exercise 2 Copy.  Some of the basic patterns would repeat, so it might not be a big deal to duplicate several from a prior week and move it into another student container.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  After writing all of this out, I think I will suggest the last solution. . . copy/paste existing exercises.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: strategy for individualized lesson plan
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2014, 3:26pm

If I read correctly, the only misstep is to assume prototypes are the source of exercise date.  If Jane and John get different test durations, for sake of example, then the student could store a factor +/- of a basic period. If the exercise was stored in minutes, a percentage could be applied. Thus a factor of 1.1 => 110% time allowance.  The minutes via maths or coercion to a date could give durations.

However, if the difference of the assignments for Jane and John are effectively arbitrary then use of prototyping fails as there's no 'logic' to enshrine.  I hope that helps

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2014, 4:03pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. . . I'm not sure I understand it yet.  

Yes, their would be an attribute for minutes because assigning this to each exercise is important.  

Let me back up a step:  If there were 100 different exercises would there be 100 different prototypes?

The instructions, links, etc. are identical but the time spent on the exercise varies depending on what the student needs to achieve mastery.  For example, John has worked extensively on Exercise 1 and needs to review for 5 minutes.  Jane needs to spend 20 minutes on Exercise 1.  The content of the exercise is identical.   The frequency and duration change.  

What do you think of the copy and paste method?

Quote:
The other solution would be to have a container filled with possible exercises.  The teacher would then duplicate the exercise and drag it into the appropriate container.  I suppose you could create some sort of action to rename it in such a way that you don't have Exercise 2 Copy.  Some of the basic patterns would repeat, so it might not be a big deal to duplicate several from a prior week and move it into another student container.
 The teacher would then manually change the minutes for each exercise.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2014, 4:42pm

If it's the 'student' (which itself could be prototype-based) that varies the study time, then the 'factor' affecting exam time would live in the student note.

As to an exam/assignment/task/whatever prototype you could have one, assuming all students (using the prototype) do the same exam set. That way the 'exam set' prototype could list all the exams for the students. Give each student a child note, based on the prototype,and the prototype could configure the time for task X or exam Y based on appropriate factors stored in the parent.

Rather as we did with your syllabus project a while back, the idea is to keep abstracting until the underlying common factors are exposed. These become the prototypes, the rest becomes customisation.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2014, 8:56pm

Thanks for the help on the forum. I definitely would see a prototype for the student and the factor aspect makes sense.  

The question that I'm trying to get to is how to re-cycle or re-use notes. In the syllabus project that you helped created for me, there were common elements activity, homework task, etc.

In this project you could reduce the notes to two main prototypes. . .

- Song ($SongTitle, $SongArtist, $Audio, $URL
- Exercise ($dateassigned, etc)

So the teacher has a collection of songs and exercises that need to be assigned to students.

- Clocks
- Stairway to Heaven
- etc. Hundreds more

- The Minor Pentatonic Scale
- The Blues Scale
- Aeolian Mode
- etc. . .

Jane
- Clocks 5 min
- Blues Scale 10 min
- Stairway to Heaven 5 min

John
- Stairway to Heaven 10 min
- Blues Scale 5 min

So how do you re-use "Stairway to Heaven?"  It certainly comes from the song prototype.  Does it become a sub-protoype?  Is from a container called songs and it is duplicated each time a student uses it?  Is it an alias and you figure out another way to track the assignment for time?

Thanks, again.  Sorry if this is theoretical-- I was just trying to help a colleague decide if Tinderbox would be a good fit for his needs.  From what I can tell, it cold be awesome if I could suggest how to set it up properly.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2014, 3:31am

One approach might be to make the student an agent - or have an agent within a student container, that collects assignments. Assignments would need a set attribute holding the names (or some ID number or such) of student due that assignment. The agent finds the student's assignments and blends assignments data with the students data to give custom per student times, etc.

It's worth mentioning separately that a consideration here should be scale. If there will be 100s of students, then managing student-to-assignment mapping via a set will be cumbersome. So, volume of activities is an aspect to keep in mind when structuring the tbx.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2014, 3:34am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print