Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
purpose of New Window? (Read 2152 times)
Steve Scott

purpose of New Window?
Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:06pm

What is the purpose of File/New Window?

At least while outlining, the original window just mirrors whatever is going in the active window.  Is this normal?  Intended? a bug?

I expected (and hoped) to be able to look at one part of an outline in one window while working on another part of an outline in the other window.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: purpose of New Window?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:20pm

I think the the issue is they follow sort of! I've admittedly not spent a lot of time in this aspect of he map. If you have an outline open at root level and another open on a hoisted container, the former will track focus as it's still in the scope of the whole doc outline. However, if you have two views (be they outline or otherwise) open in different windows they should hold different focus. Edit: see post #5 below.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 10:10am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:24pm

I should add that tabs notwithstanding without being able to have separate windows you can't see more than one major view at once - something some users definitely want. $Text can be opened as a (temporary) torn-off windows albeit not with all the functionality of its normal home in the right pane of a window.

I don't think all aspects of window behaviour are yet set in stone - so if you've particular needs do let Eastgate know.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:35pm

Thanks, Mark.  That is a helpful response.  I love opening $text in a separate window.  I would like to "tear" off a tab and see it as independent window that does not follow any other window.  This becomes enormously helpful in complex documents or when you want to move sections of an outline to another part of the outline.  I will email eastgate.

Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:46pm

Apropos your last I don't believe drag/drop, linking, or other possible cross-window tasks one might intuit are (yet) implemented. For now, copy/paste is the way to go (and link parks works across all window of the same doc - I think).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:29am

You can tear off an outline tab in a new window and hoist it to focus on a new section.

Then you can tear off a map tab in a new window and focus that wherever you like.

The two are independent, but the current selection is the same for all notes in a document.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print