Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Double-click outline item to edit? (Read 1771 times)
Gregg Williams

San Jose CA
Double-click outline item to edit?
Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:32pm

TinderboxSIX is *so* wonderful to use. I especially appreciate that text fields now have the various behaviors that are commonly associated with all Macintosh applications.

I've been outlining a lot in the past few days, and I expected double-clicking an outline item (i.e., the note's $Name) to make the line editable, with the insersion point at the location indicated by the mouse pointer position.

Instead, I get an automatic "hoist" operation (children of current note displayed in the current window).

Would anyone else like this behavior? If so, please comment. Perhaps the behavior resulting from double-clicking an outline item could be specified by an attribute or in Preferences. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Double-click outline item to edit?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2014, 4:26am

Double-click to hoist has been standard in TB for 10 years and this is the first time it's been mentioned as problematic.

To edit a selected note's name in v6, the easiest method is not to simply edit the title in the top of the text pane - you done even have to press/click anything to get into edit mode.

To invoke 'Edit-in-Place' mode on a note title in the main view try any of:
  • Enter key. Use Fn+Return on smaller modern keyboards with no explicit Enter key. (N.B. Enter is a separate key to Return).
  • Cmd+Shift+Return.
  • Ctrl+C.
  • Click and hold down mouse key on the title until the Edit box appears.
Originally, editing a title took place in a modal dialog, then Edit-in-Place was added, but now, with a persistent text pane with an editable title, it makes more sense (to me) to use the latter for editing existing titles. click to select a note and edit in the txt pane.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mel

Re: Double-click outline item to edit?
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2014, 7:02am

Gregg, I totally agree with you. I expect that when I double-click on the name in outline view, I will be able to edit the name and that clicking on the item but not on the name will hoist it. I'm finding the hoisting problematic.

It would be great if this behaviour could be defined in preferences.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print