Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does one write Rich Text? (Read 2928 times)
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
How does one write Rich Text?
Jun 24th, 2014, 7:30am

Can TB be used as a rich text editor? Is there a text toolbar? Can bullets be inserted, etc?

I know all this works when pasted into a note, but cannot seem to see how to create it in TB.

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Re: How does one write Rich Text?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2014, 7:44am

When you're in the text box of a note, Format > Text > Show Rule (or control-command-R).

This brings up the standard OSX ruler (as in TextEdit, more or less), with buttons for Styles, Alignment, Spacing and Lists.

IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2014, 8:33am

Many thanks!

Is there any way to change the default font the note uses?

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2014, 8:52am

The built-in default for $Text is HeoflerText ar size 16pt. This seeds the value in Edit -> Document Settings (or Cmd+8) -> Text tab. There you can (re-)set the current document's default text font/size. These settings are inherited by all notes via $TextFont and $TextFontSize. It is a good idea to set these up before adding data as 'just changing the font after use is much harder as each piece of RTF retains its own font/size/face settings so you can't easily apply a new font to everythnig except by selecting the whole of $Text and then using the Fonts palette (Cmd+T) to choose a new font.

When picking a font for $Text, if you wish to see/use bold and underlining make sure the font has the appropriate font variants (many don't!), i.e.: regular bold, italic (or oblique) and bold-italic (or bold-oblique). This requirement is new to v6 and is (now!) consistent with standard Mac behaviour in apps like TextEdit. A simple way to check out font faces available is either open the Mac Fonts palette via Tinderbox or open the Mac's FontBook app and review font variants there.

Once you've started using a note's $TExt, changes to $TextFont either locally or at Doc Settings level will have no effect.

As yet, there is no simple method to bulk change $TextFont for v5 docs, though it's on the list as an asked-for  feature.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 10:23am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:02am

Sure -- Edit > Document Settings (cmd-8 in v6.0.1), then the Text tab. This will only apply to new notes, though.

You can change fonts for individual notes using cmd-T to bring up the fonts box. The Text Inspector (cmd-1 then click on the fifth tab) allows you to change the colour, but not the font or font size, it seems).

As far as I can tell, using quick stamp to change the TextFormat attributes (TextFont, TextFontSize etc) doesn't do anything -- I wonder if they've be retained simply for backwards compatibility?

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 9:04am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2014, 10:22am

David, as explained in my last (when we're replying at the same time), $TextFont and $TextFontSize only have meaning up until the moment you add any text to a note. After that, you needs to select text and use OS font and/or colour palettes to alter your text style.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2014, 10:44am

Thanks Mark -- that's helpful. I saw your post only after I'd written and submitted mine. You type quicker than I do, obviously...

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 10:44am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2014, 11:23am

If only (two-finger typist!).

--
Mark Anderson