Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues with ruler settings (Read 1644 times)
David Bertenshaw

Issues with ruler settings
Jun 24th, 2014, 8:27am

In answering the question from Simon on RTF, I came across the following apparent problems with the ruler. (v6.0.1)

Am I doing anything wrong? If not, can anybody else replicate the problem? If so, I'll report it as a bug.

Thanks.

The behaviour I was expecting with the ruler would be:

A) ruler settings persist across sessions (essential)
B) ruler settings are per note, not per file (essential)
C) ruler settings can be set in a prototype (desirable)
D) ruler visibility setting persists across sessions (not that important...)

At the moment none of these appear to be true.

A) There appears to be a bug in that the ruler tab settings are not retained from session to session. To replicate:

1) Create a note and enter the text field.

2) Invoke the ruler and amend the tab settings.

3) Add some text, including a tab or two somewhere in it.

4) Save and close

5) Reopen the file and the note, then invoke the ruler.

Result: The text has retained the tabs you included, but the ruler has reverted back to the default, so that  the display of the text can become significantly altered (the text reflects the tab position of the default ruler, not your version). The only cure seems to be to select the affected text and recreate the ruler settings manually, which is clearly not an option for more than a couple of notes every time you open the file.

B) The ruler settings appear to apply across every note -- i.e. change them in one text field and every note will automatically use the same setting from then on (until the end of the session when A) applies). That can't be the expected behaviour, can it?  It's unlikely that the same tab settings will apply to every single note in a file, and if I've made changes to the ruler in one note, I don't want those changes to be over-ridden because I subsequently change them in another.

C) It would be helpful if the ruler setting could eventually be promulgated through prototypes.

Apologies if this is all my error... if it is please let me know what I'm doing wrong!

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 8:28am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Issues with ruler settings
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:12am

I'm not too clear on this - I've flagged your helpful run down on inconsistencies as input on the topic.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:23am

This looks like it would be more useful sent to tech support. But some quick notes:

TABS: in 6.0.1, tabs conform to the attribute $Tabs, also used in Tinderbox 5 and before. At present, changing the ruler has a temporary effect but, since it does not change $Tabs, it does not persist; this will change.

$Tabs is inherited from prototypes.

Like tabs, line spacing and paragraph spacing are set by attributes.  

Some other ruler settings are forced to conform to the current window configuration; right margin, for example, fits the window.

WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2014, 9:57am

Thanks, Mark(s)

If I've understood you correctly, the issues will be resolved in a future version when the ruler sets $Tabs - and this will mean that prototypes will automatically promulgate ruler settings. That's great, thanks.

I'll copy the report to technical support.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 9:58am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print