Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting prototype for note (Read 2444 times)
W. A. Jacobs

Setting prototype for note
Jun 24th, 2014, 1:57pm

May I ask a silly question? I am an experienced user of Tbx 5.12 and am trying to determine the marginal gain of a move to Tbx 6.  I am much attracted by the tab structure and the chart view.  I am really puzzled by a prototype problem. Simply how does one link a note to its prototype?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Setting prototype for note
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2014, 5:20pm

The secret is that whilst 'prototype' is listed as a link type (it is a link under the hood) you don't set a prototype by linking. Let's assume you've added the built-in prototype 'Person' to your TBX and wish to set a note 'A' to use it:
  • Using the main view, select 'A' and:
    • Map view, click (either left or right( on the tab below the bottom right of the note's map icon and pick 'Person' from the pop-up list. The prototype tab only shows when a note is selected. When selected, if a prototype is set the name of the prototype is show in the tab.
    • Outline and Chart views. Right-click the note's icon (to the left of the title & badge) and select 'Person'. If the note already has a prototype it will be shown as ticked in the pop-up list.
  • A stamp, $OnAdd or agent action:   $Prototype="Person"
  • In action code anywhere to set the prototype for note 'A':   $Prototype("A")="Person"  
  • In a key attribute. set $Prototype as a key attribute for note 'A'. In that attribute's value pop-up list select 'Person'.
  • Properties Inspector. Select note 'A' in the main view. Do either of the following. On the Inspector:-
    • Click the Properties sub-tab. From the Properties pop-up select 'Person'.
    • Click the QuickStamp sub-tab. Select the 'General' group from the top pop-up. Select 'Prototype' from the lower pop-up. Type Person in the value box and click the 'Apply' button.
That should give you a few methods to do this.

Edited:
Inspector methods updated to reflect the next post below.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014, 2:55am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2014, 5:46pm

Mark Anderson left out the most familiar way to set prototypes: the Prototypes pane of the Properties Inspector.

This inspector is essentially the central part of the old Create/Rename dialog, with a Prototype pull-down menu and checkboxes to make notes serve as prototypes, templates, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
W. A. Jacobs

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2014, 6:33pm

Many thanks.

W.A.J.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2014, 3:16pm

OK, here's a quick primer on ways to set prototypes: http://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/e4696a.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
W. A. Jacobs

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2014, 4:40pm

Thank you Mark for the Clarify-It post.  Most helpful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print