Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding notes beyond the bottom of the window (Read 2294 times)
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Adding notes beyond the bottom of the window
Jun 25th, 2014, 3:14am

I'm entering loads of notes from an excel sheet in one go.
I'm using the Outline view, copy pasting notes with a clipboard manager.

I'm running into a minor annoyance of the UI: when you use enter to add a note after one that is already at the bottom of the window, the focus doesn't move to that new note, or even better, to put that note in the centre of the window.

This means that I have to stop my repetitive typing to scroll up the window. It's not a bug per se, but it's sufficiently annoying to mention. I'm sure focus movements are not trivial to code (witness the maps jumping around ...) but it'd be nice to have it fixed somewhere down the line.

Cheers
Paul.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Adding notes beyond the bottom of the window
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2014, 3:58am

I can't replicate this in v6.0.1 (current version) on either OS 10.8.5 or 10.9.3. To clarify, I open a new doc, switch to Outline view and then use the Return key to add a new note, type a title, hit Return to complete the note and then repeat. I repeat, until there are more notes than the visible area of the outline. In each case, the view scrolls up to put the new note in view.

If the title is very long and wraps to 2 or more lines, only the current line of the wrapped title will be evident during edit (i.e. the edit box is one line high). On closing title edit mode, the first line only of the new note's title is on view in the outline. But, if you hit Return, the view is scrolled to show the new note.

I only saw the effect described during mid-stage betas of v6.0. Can you confirm this effect is happening in v6.0.1? I'm also assuming there is nothing else affecting the display of the current siblings in the outline, such as adding new notes to a sorted container.

How are you adding the notes from Excel? If I drag or copy a block of cells (even a single) column to v6.0.1 I get a single new note whose $Text is the selection of data. I'm uncertain if my test above recreates your method but I need clarification on the exact steps you take. I've tried data from Excel and Numbers - both have the same result.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014, 4:07am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2014, 9:25am

HI Mark, I may have lost the plot, but I can't find 6.0.1 to download to try it out?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2014, 10:08am

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Atlan

Abu Dhabi
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2014, 10:54pm

Ha! Got it. Last time I tried it was still advertised as 6.0.0 (also, 6.0.0 still advertised on the top left welcome text of the tinderbox forum ...)

===============================================
Update:
ok, it works as expected in 6.0.1 ! perfect.
Thanks.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014, 10:59pm by Paul Atlan »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2014, 4:25am

Ah - re forum news, yes. Found and fixed.

also, if you open v6 Preferences (not Doc Settings) it will tell you the latest released TB version.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print