Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to print map views? (Read 10382 times)
frix

How to print map views?
Jun 26th, 2014, 5:30am

In Tinderbox6 I can't print or export map views, like a did in Tinderbox5.
Why? Is me that don't understand  something?
Can you show me how can I do?
If I open a map done in tbx6 with tbx5 the background in black: i can't print it.

bug report:
if I write in the name of a note a word with “à“ (an “a“ accented) tinderbox shutdown.
.F.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How to print map views?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2014, 9:44am

Re the accented 'a'. That happens to me in v6.0.1 but not in the current beta so it looks like this issue will be fixed in the next release.

I'm unsure as to what printing has/hasn't been implemented in v6. i'd drop an email to support and ask.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2014, 10:14am

Tinderbox 6 can print maps -- but at the moment it's choosing the boundaries for map printing incorrectly and so doesn't print what you want.

As a workaround, copy the map as an image (Edit>Copy View As Image), paste into Preview or whatever image editor you like, and print.  This, too, is improved from Tinderbox 5.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
A with a grave accent à
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2014, 10:33am

Well, stone my crows! You’re right: a note with a name of “à” (grave-accent A) causes a crash.  

There’s some text-encoding quandary here that’s driving us bats.  But we’ve put a guard into the next release so it won’t happen again.

Notes named “è” are fine. Notes named “À” are fine.  Notes named “ä” are fine.  

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2014, 10:35am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
frix

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2014, 11:04am

Thanks a lot.

Yes, only the “à“ do not works.

For to print the map:
I knew the command you suggested and tried it before to report to you (I forgot to tell it to you).
My map is very large, Beyond A0 formatl, with many adornments.
“Copy view as image“ copy the entire map. This is not useful for my need in this case.

.F.

IP Logged
frix

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2014, 11:45am

… A small clarification,

If I choose “Copy view as image“ with a wide view of the map the quality of the image in a new file (pages-layout, acorn) is very low; but if the view is focused on a smaller area of the map (cmd+0) the quality get better.
It is obvious, I know…  Smiley
But remember that the command in Tinderbox copies the whole map, not only what you see on the screen.
So, I paste in a big sheet in an external app and then I can crop the image as I need.
It is not fast but for the moment I solve.
.F.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2014, 12:01pm

Admittedly I wrote this back during v5, but it helps explain the concept of 'printing' a PDF onto a big single virtual sheet that you can then view or crop.

https://shoantel.clarify-it.com/d/6zxmx4

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2014, 12:13pm

In Tinderbox 6, the resolution of the view image is (or ought to be) independent of the window size.  But it does depend on window magnification -- for example, when the scale is very small, some details aren’t drawn because there’s not enough space to draw them.

WWW   IP Logged
frix

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2014, 12:46am

Yes, I agree.
But do you know why the background of the map become black if I open the tbox6 file with tbox5?
Why I can't print the map in tbox5?
Maybe i'm wrong and it is possible?

F.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2014, 10:47am

Check the default value of $MapBackgroundColor; I believe Tinderbox Six makes this "auto" which Tinderbox 5 doesn't understand. Changing it back  to #FFFFFF (white) should help.

WWW   IP Logged
frix

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2014, 4:46pm

Thank you, Mark.

For anyone who have the same need:

1) in Tinderbox6 $MapBackgroundColor of the note I need to print wasn't ‘auto‘ but ‘custom‘;
2) Cmd-1 --> Appearance Inspector-->Bkgnd,--->  choose the white colour by clicking the palette;
3) Open the file with Tinderbox5.
4) In map view the main background is always black but in the specific note I need to print now is white and it is possible to print the map view (after the set-up of the page dimensions).

.F.

IP Logged
Lew Friedland

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2015, 1:30pm

Has ability to print a map to PDF been fixed in 6? When I try to save as PDF in Map view I get only blank pages. Went through Mark Anderson's suggestions below and still only get a set of blank pages.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2015, 4:02pm

Works for me. In a test, map content is plaid across 2 PDF pages for reasons I can't figure. If in doubt, I'd drop a line to support as the issue might be due to your particular file.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2015, 10:13am

Works nicely here. Copy View As Image and be handy, too, for giving better control of print scale.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print