Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where does HTML markup come from? (Read 2560 times)
james a. foster

Where does HTML markup come from?
Jun 26th, 2014, 2:56pm

I have an agent that scoops up items that all have the same template and prototypes. Yet, when I export the agent, two of the five notes it matches wrap <h2> around the text (included via ^text^).

I have NO IDEA where that <h2> comes from.

This is in the middle of a big database. I'm sure Mark would find the problem immediately Smiley, but in general, how do I find out where html markup comes from? Did that <h2> come from a template? (I don't think so) Did TBX insert it automagically for some reason? I don't know where to look!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Where does HTML markup come from?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2014, 3:30pm

Most likely the <h2>is caused automatically by that text being in a target point size than the rest of the text: see this article. It's one reason I don't tinker with fonts in TB, as I do mainly export.

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2014, 3:31pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
james a. foster

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2014, 12:12pm

Yes, THAT was the problem. There is another complication mentioned in the article you cite: It is impossible to change the $TextFont and $TextFontSize for any text you have already entered.

I find this "feature" incredibly unintuitive. I would like to be able to define the text appearance by changing the attributes in the TextAppearance group of attributes. For example, setting them in a prototype would be a natural way to make my prototyped notes look alike. But this has no effect on text that is already entered.

Moreover, I don't mix WYSIWYG and marked-up text. It would seem a silly thing to do. So I would prefer that TBX didn't second guess me on whether I want markup, and which markup I want. At the very least, there should be a setting that disables "guess what markup I have in mind on export".

IP Logged
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2014, 1:30pm

Actually, some of us do mix styled text and markup, plus TBx macros!

It is awkward, I agree, but it seems the best way to have both WYSIWYG in simple areas and highly customizable objects in another.

You can in fact style the tags so that they are nearly invisible.

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2014, 9:30am

There is already a setting for what you want: the Markup Text checkbox in the HTML inspector and its corresponding attribute, $HTMLMarkupText.

WWW   IP Logged
james a. foster

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2014, 1:28pm

very nice. Thanks, Mark!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print