Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you link notes to external files in Tbx6? (Read 2383 times)
mrkwr

How do you link notes to external files in Tbx6?
Jun 26th, 2014, 4:01pm

You could do this for an arbitrary file in Tbx5 by dragging the file over the button in the Text View sidebar, but I can't find how to do this in Tbx6 – is there a way, or has this feature been dropped?

If I drag a file into an outline in that Tbx can't process it creates a new note but doesn't seem to create a clickable link? In any case I want to be able to add links to existing notes, not just create new ones

Also I'd like to be able to create links to PDF files (not have them imported)

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How do you link notes to external files in Tbx6?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2014, 4:52pm

Same principle as v5. Add $File (General group of System Attributes) as a key attribute - or do it via a prototype or a stmap, etc., if for lots of notes. Then simply drop your file (or folder of files) onto the value box of the attribute and TB figures the (local) path; the system is designed for files on your local hard-disks, I think persistent local mirrors like Dropbox should be OK. To open the linked asset using Finder simply click the folder icon next to the value in the key attribute table.

Want several links per note? As in v5 just make your own File-type attributes and add them as key attributes too.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2014, 12:53pm

Thanks Mark!

IP Logged
Russel

textbook author,
educator,
instructional
designer

Santa Fe, NM
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2014, 5:48pm

Don't forget that in TB 6.0.1 you can now link syncronized external files via Dropbox. Simply replace the first part of the file path with a tilde ~

Example:
Before: /Users/rstolins/Dropbox/!BUSN120/Projects/Project 2/Project 2-SP14.pdf
After: ~/Dropbox/!BUSN120/Projects/Project 2/Project 2-SP14.pdf

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2014, 6:58pm

…and remember to close files stored in Dropbox on one Mac before opening then on another, e.g. if moving between office and home.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print