Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keyboard shortcut for switching window focus (Read 3828 times)
Alex Strick van Linschoten

Holland
Keyboard shortcut for switching window focus
Jun 27th, 2014, 4:53am

Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between the text editing window back to the outline pane?

I know that if you're in an outline you can press space (like in oldTinderbox) and you'll be able to edit the text, but is there a shortcut to go back the other way?

Or do I just have to click the mouse?

WWW strickvl   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Keyboard shortcut for switching window focus
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2014, 5:15am

Unchanged from v5 - use Opt+Tab to cycle between main view, key attributes (if set) and note text.

Key attributes. Up/down arrow keys will navigate KAs. Tab will open/close edit for a currently selected KA. To close edit without altering the attribute use Escape, or else both Return or Tab will close edit. As at v6.0.1, either of the latter destroys focus so you must use the mouse cursor to re-set focus again within the KA (issue reported).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2014, 5:19am

From the outline, opt-tab cycles to the text pane (and if you have Key Attributes shown, to the top of that list) and then back to the outline.

This is really helpful, as once you're in the Key Attributes list, you can up/down arrow through it to make changes. There are a couple of enhancements though that would really make it easy to use the keyboard instead of that nasty little mouse thingy:

a) The selection of the attribute should be maintained after an edit -- i.e. the same attribute you've just edited should retain the blue highlight. At the moment once you've edited an attribute and pressed Enter, the selection is lost and you have to up/down arrow repeatedly to get back to the next attribute -- not ideal if you're making several changes at once.

b) At the moment, using Space to trigger the checkbox in an attribute kicks the focus back to the outline -- the focus should instead remain in the attribute as at a) above.

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2014, 5:23am

Mark, actually there's a difference between ending edit with Return and Tab:

Return: focus on the individual attribute is lost, but is retained (albeit not visibly) within the KA panel. You can still use up/down to move to an attribute.

Tab: moves focus directly back to the outline.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2014, 6:44am

Thanks - good spot! Tab sets focus back in Outline but not in Map (Murphy's Law I was testing with a map!). Odd. Anyway, I've noted these gremlins to Eastgate.

Bottom line - for now use Return to edit/edit KA mode (notwithstanding UI highlight missing post edit) and then arrow keys to get around KA table.  Not test but likely similar in Get Info->Attribute panels.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2014, 7:04am

Unfortunately, isn't that useful in the Get Info box. cmd-opt-I and you're in the left hand panel, and the up and down arrows take you from main category to category (agent > attributes  > book etc), but a further tab or opt-tab doesn't take you any further. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any way to get at the attributes without using the mouse.

What's more, in 6.0.1 the search button for attributes seems to have stopped working. I'm sure in 6.0.0 I used to be able to type in the search box, press enter and the attribute would be highlighted, because I posted this in the Keyboard Shortcut thread a couple of weeks ago:

* Get Info -- very useful to have the cmd-opt-I shortcut, but once I've done that, I have to use the mouse to enter the (very useful) attribute search field, put the mouse down to enter the text, then pick it up again to highlight the attribute to edit it. Tabbing between elements (cmd-i, down arrow, type, enter, enter, edit would a lot quicker and smoother, for me at least than having to pick up the mouse and put it down twice in the process).

Can't get it to work now though. I'll play with it a bit to see if I can find out what the problem is, then report it if necessary.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2014, 7:19am

Although I can't navigate down past attribute groups in v6.0.1 Get Info, the auto-complete does work in the search box does work for me. It gives me matches and Tab inserts the full text of the highlighted match. But, the actual search based on that is broken.

I expect these things will get fixed in due course, if you do find breakage it's worth dropping an email to Eastgate as that will be seen more quickly than noting it here. While a few new elements of the UI are bedding down and may yet change, some of the keyboard-enabled use may lag a bit for self-evident reasons.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2014, 7:29am

That's the behaviour I see now.  I'll report it formally, thanks.

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2014, 8:04am

Update from Mark Bernstein (paraphrased...):

This was a known issue which has been fixed in the current backstage version.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2014, 8:16am

To clarify, what's fixed is the Get Info/Attribute's search box now works again. The KA table Tab/Return key issues currently remain the same and you can't yet fully navigate the Get Info panel via keys.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2014, 8:30am

That's what I understood -- should have been clearer, sorry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print