Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Multiple Text Windows (Read 3433 times)
Komori Kou

Multiple Text Windows
Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:05am

I'm afraid that this question is probably too naive.

How I can look at multiple text windows simultaneously?

In TBX5, the text window of every note is independent so that I can align multiple text windows on display and compare the contents of them with others.

In TBX6, the number of windows can be increased by menu “New Window…”; however, when any note is selected in any window, the contents of text panes of all windows will switch to the selected note, therefore I can’t compare a text of a note with another one.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Multiple Text Windows
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:39am

The current solution is to 'tear off' the text window as you can do with Get Info. This is done via a main menu (View -> Text Window) or shortcut (Opt+Cmd+X). It not available via left/right pane context menus so the shortcut is probably the easiest method to use. The menu/shortcut is only available if now note is selected, nothing opens if several notes are selected.

Text window opens the $Text of the currently selected a separate window from any normal two-pane document windows. The extra window shows $Text only, no key attributes are shown. The extra window is designed mainly so you can view non-selected note's text. You can edit $Text in a floating window but note you won't see the main view version update until that window refreshes. However this does mean that you can view and edit Note A's $Text whilst Note B has app focus in the main window.

Text links in $Text (i.e. to other notes) do show in the external windows.  If a link in the external window is clicked and followed, the associated main window(s) shift focus the linked-to note but the external window does not.

Minor issue you may see in v6.0.2. If you edit $Text in an external window. and start typing at the end of text, the wrong font face/size are used. For now, the best workaround is to start typing one character back from the end of current text so as to pick up the right formatting.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Komori Kou

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 2:28pm

Thank you for the instruction.

I understand that external text window(s) are implemented for referring to the text of non-selected note.

Now, another question regarding windows of TBX6.

In TBX5, I used to arrange many windows of one TBX document on whole display: some of them are outlines, some are maps, and some are text windows. After the document is closed (or TBX is quitted) and reopened, the arrangement of windows are reconstructed identically to previous session so that I can resume my work very easily.

After reopening in TBX6, only one main window is opened and no text window is. In order to open all note I want to see, I must select every note and open external text window of it one by one, and rearrange them.  I receive the impression that the easiness of resuming work is markedly deteriorated from TBX5.

Is there a clever method I haven’t noticed?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 3:33pm

No, it is as I described in my last post. I think this is work-in-progress. I'm sure the current situation isn't the final answer, but I think it's all we have at present. For a more detailed answer you'd need to ask support. Like you, I only see what the app does, not why it does it.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:21am

TEXT WINDOWS: don't forget VIEW>Text Window which opens a text window for the selected note.  The Get Info pane that Mark Anderson mentioned is also handy, but Text Window is probably what you had in mind.

MULTIPLE WINDOWS: In many cases, you'll find that switching among tabs is actually nicer. In others, the old style of multiple windows is preferable -- and remains supported. Only the primary window is currently saved between sessions, though this will change.

WWW   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2014, 4:38pm

Quote:
In others, the old style of multiple windows is preferable -- and remains supported. Only the primary window is currently saved between sessions, though this will change.

As often noted, I am a big fan of TB6 overall, including its tabs. I do find, though, that I quite often wish for the old multi-windows-open approach, and for having the layout persist between sessions. Glad to hear that this is a planned feature.

IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2014, 10:15am

For readers: more on the same topic in this thread:
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1407926759

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print