Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keyboard shortcuts for moving among tabs in TB6? (Read 3526 times)
J Fallows

Keyboard shortcuts for moving among tabs in TB6?
Jul 23rd, 2014, 6:08pm

As discussed in other threads, one of the big changes in TB6 is the one-window/many-tabs workspace layout. (Granted that you can open additional windows in each session.)

I would find the multi-tab layout all the more convenient if there were a keyboard-shortcut way to move from one to another, or even just to cycle through them, much as Cmd-Tab lets you cycle among active programs.

Am I right in thinking that at the moment TB6 offers no keyboard shortcut for going from one tab to another? If I'm wrong, would love to know what it is. If I'm right, I wonder whether it would be feasible to add this function. (I know it can't be Cmd-1 etc, as I use for different tabs in Chrome, since those combinations are already assigned.) Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Keyboard shortcuts for moving among tabs in TB6?
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2014, 12:13pm

There isn't currently a keyboard shortcut.

What would be a sensible shortcut? ⌘-3 is available. As you note, ⌘-1 is used for the inspector, and ^-tab (used by Safari) is used for moving amongst panes.

How about F1? Function keys dropped out of my design vocabulary because there once was a time when they were overused, and then there was a time when some people didn't have function keys.

Another candidate might be ctrl-opt-cmd-rightArrow.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2014, 1:38pm

As some folk need to use the 'fn' key to activate function keys, it strikes me that the ctrl-opt-cmd-[left|right]Arrow seems an easier keystroke combo.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2014, 1:44pm

Mark,

I would use the standard Safari Next Tab / Previous Tab shortcuts, which are cmd-shift-] and cmd-shift-[. I don't think they're already taken in TBX.

Beyond that, if you want to replicate the Safari cmd+Num to get directly to the Numth tab without using cmd-1 etc, then cmd-opt-1, 2, 3 etc aren't being used at the moment and aren't too different from Safari.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2014, 4:52pm

I am agnostic about what the key combo is, as long as there is one!

IP Logged
Jon B.

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2014, 7:56pm

Agree with David; use the standard shortcut keys from Safari.

IP Logged
mrkwr

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2014, 8:00am

I'd also vote for the Safari defaults

However, if the commands were included in the menus as well as give shortcuts, then anyone who doesn't like the shortcuts chosen could set their own in System Preferences

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2014, 8:00am by mrkwr »  
  IP Logged
JB

Maine
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2014, 12:37pm

mrkwr wrote
Quote:
However, if the commands were included in the menus as well as give shortcuts, then anyone who doesn't like the shortcuts chosen could set their own in System Preferences"

Yes, please.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print