Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6.0.2: Restore beginning/end of line text shortcut (Read 3718 times)
David Bertenshaw

6.0.2: Restore beginning/end of line text shortcut
Jul 26th, 2014, 6:33pm

Amongst lots of welcome improvements, V6.0.2 has introduced a new behaviour for the cmd-left and cmd-right shortcuts in text panels.

Instead of invoking 'beginning / end of line' in every text panel in Tinderbox (and throughout OSX), in v6.0.2, the shortcuts now invoke Expand / Collapse on the Outline -- but only if the selected note is collapsable / expandable, otherwise they invoke the standard beginning/end of line behaviour.

I recognise how much effort is being put into the releases in order to make improvements, and I'm sure this has been introduced for valid reasons (presumably people want to expand / collapse whilst in the text panel), but unfortunately to me this behaviour simply adds confusion. When I'm in a text panel, my fingers are in 'text mode' and expect all the standard shortcuts to work - when they don't (and the outline changes on the left of the screen when I didn't want it to), the concentration is broken.

The first reason for posting is to ask whether other users find this as disconcerting as I do? If it's only me, then see the second reason below Wink. Otherwise, perhaps the behaviour could be altered in a future version? As an aside, I like the idea of being able to manipulate the outline while I'm in the text panel (it's just the particular shortcuts chosen that I disagree with). In fact, I'd like to see it expanded to add cmd-opt-up/down to be able to change the selected note whilst remaining in the text panel (as you can do in Scrivener, for example).

The second is to offer a simple workaround for restoring the standard OSX cmd-left/right behaviour. If you open System Preferences / Keyboard / Shortcuts / App Shortcuts and add new TinderboxSix shortcuts for Expand and Collapse, this will return cmd-left/right to their standard beginning/end of line behaviours in text panels, irrespective of the selected note's expandability status. This workaround is probably obvious to most people, but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps somebody.

Of course, you now have to use cmd-opt-left/right (or whatever combination you chose) to Expand / Collapse throughout Tinderbox, but to me this is far preferable to having the current potential for confusion.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: 6.0.2: Restore beginning/end of line text shortcut
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2014, 5:09am

I suspect this is simply a glitch, given it appeared in v6.0.2. Some shortcuts need to work in both panels, such as Browse Links or Get Info, other such as the ones you cite need to be panel dependent.

If you see any more of these might I suggest contacting support first - it might save fruitless debate over something that will likely get fixed once Eastgate find out about it.

Edit: as pointed out, this behaviour is as listed in the release notes.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014, 6:13am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2014, 5:48am

Mark,

I do normally report bugs direct, but this looks like it's intended behaviour. It's reported in the Release Notes as:

Cleaner handling of ⌘-left arrow and ⌘-right arrow, which are start and end-of-line in text pane but collapse/expand in right pane. If the text pane is active and the current selection can collapse or expand, it will be collapsed and expanded. If the current selection cannot collapse or expand or is already collapse or expanded, the arrow keys have their natural meaning. (938)

So it looks like it's intended behaviour, hence my suggested workaround on this board in case anybody else is interested.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2014, 5:51am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2014, 6:12am

I stand corrected.  Embarrassed

I can only presume someone (else) lobbied for this change.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2014, 10:28am

Yep -- there was some discussion a while ago. I'm <strike>not</strike> inclined to think the current approach isn't really a great idea.

(updated after I got carried away with the negatives)

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014, 8:44am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2014, 1:55pm

Fair enough. I confess I still don't understand how having to check whether a note in the outline is in a particular state or not before using an otherwise universal shortcut is beneficial, but if enough people think otherwise, I'm happy with the workaround.

Cmd-opt-up/down to be able to move up and down the outline from within the text panel (changing the contents of the text accordingly) would be really welcome, though...

Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2014, 8:46am

Good point. Issue #1000!

WWW   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw