Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
map view- picture on container (Read 3451 times)
Steve Scott

map view- picture on container
Aug 17th, 2014, 11:35am

I have figured out how to have a picture on an adornment.  I have figured out how to have a picture in a note.  Is it possible to have a picture on a container?  

In screen grab #1, I am close, but the image isn't centered.

In screen grab #2, I have started to put things into the Teddy Roosevelt container and no image is visible.

So, is it possible to have a "cover image" on a container?  If so, I would love to learn how to do it.

Steve

IP Logged
Steve Scott

Re: map view- picture on container
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2014, 11:39am

Answer to my own question.  There is a window shade pulldown at the bottom of the brown area.  I'm not sure how to describe it and I can't take a screen grab without losing the "window shade."

IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2014, 11:51am

The problem is if you change the scale of the map, you lose the picture:

Is there a way to have a picture on the container scale to the map size.  If so, my guess is it won't come from having the image in the note of the container.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2014, 12:13pm

The 'window shade', the degree of visible icon face vs. child map is stored in $TitleHeight. If $TitleHeight = $Heigh the child map is completely hidden.

I'm less certain on images. I assume you are using $Fill to insert the picture onto the map icon face. If not, try that.

I've not seen any documentation on images & scaling.  I can see argument for/against image scaling depending on the users task.  It might be useful to drop Eastgate an email (as opposed to here) with a bit more detail as to your use case as it may show either a solution or possibly feed into one down the line. As things stand, people are able to put image on maps as some folk like a scrapbooking approach to their research and asked for image embedding. I guess the scale issue boils down to another attribute to control whether an image scales or not; whether that's worth the engineering cost is probably down to a well argued use case (and it not throwing up technical issues, as is sometimes the case with 'simple' ideas!).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2014, 1:09pm

Mark, thanks of the reply here. . . how do you use $fill?  I tried to drag an image in that attribute, but that doesn't work.  I'm going to move the larger thing that I am going to accomplish into another post.

Steve

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2014, 1:59pm

Fill images should be placed in the 'fill' subfolders of the TB app support folder (accessed via the TB help menu. I think fill images need to be JPG. In $Fill just give the name without an extension. I don't know if fills can be used from other locations. As fills were originally envisaged as an alternate background for map icons it's not entirely surprising they don't support multiple sources/formats.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2014, 7:57pm

I believe $Fill is a red herring here. The image, as I understand it, is pasted into the text of the note. Tinderbox Six will show the image when the text is visible.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2014, 4:14am

Although Steve originally tried an image pasted into text I don't think that was a requirement so much as a route to a goal whereby the student image fills the whole adornment icon area. Whatever - a quick experiment using this image.

N.B. for use as a fill ($Fill) as opposed an inline image in text, an image must be in JPG format and as at v6.0.2 you must re-start the app after adding a new fill to the fills folder.

Expectation management: I've no presumption as to what TB should do re images. Rather this simply explores current possibilities. If users desire more specific control over image use, I suggest emailing Eastgate with their use case, explaining both what they want to do and what changes to the app that implies.

Here is a quick experiment to see what we can get in v6.0.2, using the above image:

• Ted-1. tr.jpg added as a fill to an adornment. The adornment scales the image to fit and there is no 'actual size' option so you may need to experiment to get  good 'fit'. Best you use a know ratio for the image width/height so the adornment can have the same $Xpos/$Ypos ratio. The opacity is affected by $FillOpacity but the default translucence is controlled by a document setting (more below)
  • Ted-2.  Same image as a note fill. Again the image scales.
  • Ted-3. A copy of Ted-2 with $Ypos altered so icon and image width/height ratios are the same. (So the principle is the same for both adornments and notes.).
  • Ted-4. A copy of Ted-2 turned into a container.  The title bar area does not draw a fill. I suspect this is not the design intent but is a limitation as at v6.0.2.
  • Ted-5. tr.jpg was pasted into a note's $Text. This is a default sized map icon.
  • Ted-6. A copy of Ted-5 dragged larger. The image can be seen in full (and some $text) but there is no control over image placement.
  • Ted-7. A copy of Ted-5 made into a container. The image is seen if the title portion of the container icon is pulled deep enough.

Here, for the image above, note how the opacity of Ted-1 has changed.  This was done via the Document Settings' Maps tab, where the 'opaque adornment' box has been ticked. Note the Settings' dialog's caption is confusing in regards to the tick box - but I've illustrated both options here and above. note this setting is a one-size-fits-all for the document. All adornments are affected.  This is a separate control to $FillOpacity.

• Ted-7 (oops - numbering error!) is tr-jpg contents selected in Preview and pasted into a map background.  Note the image doesn't fill the entire adornment. Not sure why.
  • Ted-8 is a copy of the Ted-7 pasted image but dragged larger. The image scales (again no 'actual size' option). The border has been set to none causing the adornment's background fill colour ($Color) to change. Don't try setting $Color to transparent as the image then disappears. Instead you need to set $Color to be $MapBackgroundColor.
Test complete. I hope that clarifies what you can do at present.

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2014, 4:16am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2014, 8:47am

Mark- Thank you for all of this testing-- this is a great resource for others to follow!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print