Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Accessing "similar" notes in TB6 (Read 1961 times)
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Accessing "similar" notes in TB6
Aug 20th, 2014, 11:14pm

As a writer who compiles notes over many years, I've often found that the AI function of finding similar notes is one of the most useful features of a few softwares, including both Tinderbox and DEVONthink. (Stephen Johnson famously wrote some great posts on using that function in DEVONthink in doing his books, such as The Ghost Map.)

It took a while to locate the list of "similar" notes in TB6 -- clicking on a note in, say, outline, then in the Note menu, Get info leads to a pane on which one of the options is "Similar." Click that and after some churning, a pane opens with a list of notes that presumably may have similar content. (I don't know if there is another way to access that list.)

My question is whether there is some trick to then actually opening/reading each of those notes. E.g., if I get a list of fifteen notes that are supposedly in some way similar to the starting note, what I see in that pane is a nice list of them, but clicking on notes in the list, or control-click, command-click, option-click, etc.... none of them actually opens any of the notes. I can grab a screen shot of them (since memory is weak at my age) or a pad and pen and write the names of the notes then get to each of them from a find command or simple rooting. Surely, that is not what is intended.

What's the trick?

Thanks.

Greg

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2014, 12:01am by Greg Korgeski »  
  IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Re: Accessing "similar" notes in TB6
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2014, 4:04am

I can't find a way to go directly to the selected 'similar' note either.

But you don't need to use pen and pencil -- you can 'tear off' (click on the surrounding and drag) the Get Info panel from its note and it will stay open on the screen so you can refer to it while you Find the other notes.

Not as useful as being able to open the note directly, I agree, but a workaround for the time being.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2014, 4:06am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2014, 5:21am

I read the lack of a link from the 'Similar' panel back to the listed note as work-in-progress. Aside: it begs the question as to whether the frontmost main view scrolls/jumps to that note or is a new tab/window is opened.

Meanwhile, similarTo() action code does effectively the same thing. This is only of the top of my head but you could make a prototype note where a KA was the name of the note on which to base the search. Action code could then create basic links to the similar notes and these could then be viewed via roadmap. The latter is necessary as I don't think you can make a text link using action code, i.e. add the list to $Text and make each item a TB text link. You use a prototype as you'd start a new note each time so as to not worry about links added during a previous run.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2014, 7:16am

Thanks.

IP Logged