Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
unorthodox startup view (Read 3781 times)
trianta

unorthodox startup view
Sep 08th, 2014, 4:13am

hello

when i open up tinderbox:

1. it does not maintain the windows (views) and their traits as they where when i last closed it

2. in map view (no matter if starting or just zooming into) it takes me to a completely empty space, whereas i really prefer tbx5 behavior which would take me into the center of note mass / cluster

am i doing something wrong, are these bugs, or are these behaviors conscious design decisions?

thanks

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: unorthodox startup view
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2014, 12:45pm

My Tinderbox does maintain primary windows. Auxiliary windows and palettes are not maintained across sessions.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2014, 12:46pm

If you've got a document that exhibits startup misbehavior, send it to info@eastgate.com with a brief note explaining what you expected and how it differs from what you observe.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2014, 1:50pm

In v6.0.4 TB remembers one main window (will all its tab(s)) - if I recall the last used one if more than one window. Testing is underway for future versions to save multiple main (i.e. tabbed windows). Meanwhile I believe currently no intent that extra non-main windows like 'torn-off' Get Info or text will not persist from session to session, either now now or in future v6 versions. However, I think this behaviour is being fine tuned and that reasoned user input (to Eastgate, not here) is doubtless welcomed.

The main window (in due course windows) re-oen with their tab and note selections as when saved closed (I'm not sure if the text map selection (text/HTML/preview) is saved - likely it defaults to text.

As to #2, I dont think it is different in v6 - it just seems that way as the v6 UI is different. v6 doesn't have to open the selected note as it is already 'open\ in the text pane. I assuming by 'zoom' (which in the app makes the current view bigger) I think you are describing a 'drill down action to get to a child map of a container. There are two main ways to do this, with the container selected on the map: double-click the container view post or use the down arrow key.

The down arrow works the same way in v5 and v6. you keep on 'zooming' until you are looking at the (empty) map of a note with no children.

If you double-click the view-port v5 and v6 work the same with one exception. This occurs when you've drilled down/zoomed in to a note with no children.  In v5, it is assumed you may want to view the note.  In v6, the note is already visible so the double-click takes to the note's empty map (as likely you want to start a new one. Don't forget - TB have no separate text window - so don't try to open it(that's what it does in TB5).

I think neither of these is bugs. Thus #1 is being addressed but isn't supported as at v6.0.4. #2 works as described in the testing notes (as I recall - not sure about the manual) and is basically a sensible change to reflect the new 2-pane main window. I hope that helps clarify things.

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2014, 1:51pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
trianta

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2014, 2:25am

@MarkB

> My Tinderbox does maintain primary windows. Auxiliary windows and palettes are not maintained across sessions.

indeed, my mistake. I somehow managed to get confused

@MarkA

yes, thank you, I _am_ referring to "drill-down".

I remember v5 always drilling into some visible part of contained notes (in map view). In v6 i often drill into an empty part of the map and have to pan around in order to find where my notes are

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2014, 6:03pm

I don't know the design logic for v6 map initial placement so I don't know what one would expect to see (or why). Whatever it is, it differs from v5.

My suggestion if finding your self drilling to an empty part of the map is to blind-type (i.e. just start typing) the name of a note and TB should find it and auto-select it/auto-scroll to it.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
trianta

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2014, 12:34am

hi mark

i'd have to know the (or a) name of one of the notes in each container

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2014, 3:23am

I'd agree this isn't optimal, but experimenting I see that if you press the right arrow key a note is selected and scrolled into view. It might not be the one you want but it does at least find the content.

Don't overlook $MapScrollX and $MapScrollY. Once set up for a container, drill down should go to the location seen in the parent container's map icon viewport.

I'd agree that the week link is if data is created in other views, the default map alignments on drill down (i.e. ensuring the content in in view) isn't optimal at present. I don't know why or have a workaround for that.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
trianta

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2014, 3:35pm

thank you Mark(A), the "right arrow" tip is quite useful

i'll fiddle with $MapScroll and see if it works for me (probably will)

as for the rest, i am keeping my fingers crossed Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print