Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spinning Beach Ball in Map view (Read 1775 times)
Simon Knight

Spinning Beach Ball in Map view
Sep 19th, 2014, 12:54pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else gets a spinning beach ball when they move notes on a map view.  The details of my file are that it originated on Tinderbox 5 and holds 224 notes, has 8545 words, 337 attributes (what does that mean), 220 aliases, 3 prototypes and 9 templates i.e. not that large.  

best wishes

Simon K

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Spinning Beach Ball in Map view
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2014, 1:41pm

Not sure about the beach ball but I can answer the the attributes question.  A new TBX has 325 attributes, all of which are system attributes. So, your TBX has 337-325 => 12 user attributes.

The alias count can be worth watching. If you set an agent to find every note on a 100 note file, you'll have 100 alias plus any you made manually. No big deal at this size but with 20,000 note file you might want to remove ro refine your agent.

The figures don't mean anything per se, but can be useful (with some expertise) in triaging behaviour of (larger) docs running slowly.

If you doc is a map of 220+ notes with lots of links (i.e. link lines to be drawn) and you select and move everything, TB may have to think a bit before its done. Performance of doing things with busy maps is under review.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Spinning Beach Ball in Map view
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2014, 6:04pm

I've had not problems with much larger documents.

One thing that can be slow is to have multiple windows open at once -- especially if one of those windows is viewing an attribute browser.  

Sending your document and a note to support (info@eastgate.com) might be a good next step.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print