Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keyboard only rapid notes writing? (Read 14724 times)
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Keyboard only rapid notes writing?
Sep 26th, 2014, 10:51am

Might be another embarrassingly easy thing I'm missing but I seem to recall that in earlier versions, you could add a note, hit space bar to insert text, and then there was something you could do to then create a new note (at the same level on map or outline) without having to mouse-click on another note (e.g., getting the cursor outside the text of the note.) Such as, taking rapid notes in a meeting and I want to just add a few words inside a note, then quickly click a new one. Is there a way to do this without leaving keyboard? Using a Macbook Air keyboard, if you just hit the return/enter key you just jump down to the next paragraph in the note content. I can use command-enter(return) or f-command-return for some apps but it does not seem to work. Is there a way?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Keyboard only rapid notes writing?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2014, 11:42am

Opt+Tab does a 3-way focus cycle:

Main view
$Text of selected note
First Key Attribute (if any KA are set)
Main view, etc.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2014, 11:47am

EXCELLENT!  Thanks, Mark.  G

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2014, 12:20pm

This is *another* basic thing I hadn't realized! And that is very useful. Thanks for asking, and for answering.

IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2014, 1:31pm

Some nostalgia maybe but when I first encountered Tinderbox many years ago, I think some of the web pages from Eastgate had some kind of demos or something that showed how to use it and why it was so great for notes, and this keyboard-only fast taking of notes while also creating maps and outlines and so on, was I thought one of the coolest features -- nothing else did what it did. That's still true but it may not be on the web pages now? For a brand new user, it was very cool.

Glad it still works... maybe it didn't change but I couldn't figure out what key combination might do it.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2014, 11:13am

Itís amazingly difficult to know which of these things is worth mentioning, much less demonstrating on the Web site.  Depending on how you count, Tinderbox has dozens, maybe hundreds, of these amenities. Some are obviously handy (I fought for months against grabby-hand scrolling as a needless frippery) and some are probably unnecessary (lateral dragging of tabs?), but there's a great gulf.

It might be handy to start a thread with some of your favorites.

WWW   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2014, 11:30am

How about a new section (distinct from Documentation and Tutorials) named "Tinderbox Tips"? Suggest limiting tip length to no more than 3 sentences as a goal. All tips to include applicable TB version?

(Just a thought.)

IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2014, 11:32am

Well, as I've opined at times (sometimes with some obvious frustration), the design and structure and wide ranging goals of Tinderbox make this a daunting task. As Mr. Pareto might have noted, about 80% of what anybody would use it for can probably be easily accomplished with just 20% of the possible actions one can perform in Tinderbox.

Since I've been re-using it with the advent of 6, I've been compiling my own  "easy manual" which is actually good training. I suspect that there are basic and more advanced sets of skills one can learn, but the process/sequence of doing so might not be tidy.

IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2014, 11:52am

Yes, I agree, a highly versatile tool's nature will inherently not be captured in a simple, linear way that serves *everybody*, true. And honestly I don't know in this case whether 80/20 Pareto would be less or more 80 for the cross-section of Tinderbox users.

But you know, the advantage of smaller, unqualified bits of useful Tinderbox "tippetry" lends itself well to what seems to be a recurring theme for Tinderbox, IMHO. Namely, "Get the useful stuff down. Organize it according to whatever dimensions best suit your purpose. Let the information reveal itself as it's examined, and sorted, and associated."

Sorry, I'm all in a meta-mood this morning, apparently Wink

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2014, 7:37pm

While I am not volunteering to do the work of kicking off a series of very short useful TB tips, I will try to contribute along the way if such a thing gets going. †I also think it would be valuable.

* For instance, I had not realized until last week that Shift-Cmd-W had the same effect as "close project" in Scrivener, or the Opt-Tab discussed here recently.

IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2014, 7:11am

A good example of the kind of thing we're discussing is in Brian Crane's blog, aptly titled "Ordinary Human Language" (http://ordinaryhumanlanguage.ca) †He's got a few posts about Tinderbox, what he refers to as "front-of-the-manual" techniques that for instance don't get into some of the more complex things one can do with agents and attributes, but basic note taking and organizing, with clear video clips explaining what he is doing. (Maybe it helps that he is an English teacher.)†

His discussion is here http://ordinaryhumanlanguage.ca/2014/09/19/front-of-the-manual-tools/.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2014, 9:05am

@JF. †The shortcuts are all listed is the doc I posted a while back here: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/shortcut-changes.pdf. I checked today and I think it's up to date. If there are any omissions let me know.

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2014, 10:04am by Mark Bernstein »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2014, 9:21am

Thanks again, Mark.

You provide a huge amount of this kind of help. I was thinking the other day that without you and Mark B's responses on the Forum, the "stock value" of Tinderbox might not be nearly so high. Which is both high praise and also a sort of structural weakness of Tinderbox -- two heartbeats away from becoming a very much less usable tool.

Stay healthy, guys.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2014, 12:22pm

Mark A -- Thanks for the reminder about the short-cut list!

When I was saying that I didn't "know" about these various tricks, I was meaning that I hadn't incorporated them into my own working-memory repertoire while using the program. Not at all that they'd been missing from your reference works or compendia, which are so valuable. Will study the list again with new care.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2014, 1:07pm

JF - no censure implied! I do echo MB's point that it's really not obvious what needs extra explanation from the vast range of TB's features. The article cited above, stripped of filler, explains how to make a link in TB6. Are people really stuck at such a basic level? Generally, questions asked here imply a greater level of expertise. So I'm wondering if all the 'likes' for it are really a hunger for more TB articles. i'm certainly willing to have a go but I'm genuinely unclear as to at what stage/level people are stuck and every time I ask about this there's a deafening silence. Is this an embarrassment thing? People don't want to admit to where they're stuck in case others laugh? I'm confused. I'd like to think this is a pretty friendly forum where we help folk whatever their expertise.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print