Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keyboard only rapid notes writing? (Read 14432 times)
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Re: Keyboard only rapid notes writing?
Reply #30 - Oct 05th, 2014, 11:54am

Thanks for your reply and the pic, though I can't tell of all those options if any of them actually pertains to what should be called "MapDefaultNoteColor" or whatever I'd have called it. (Like I said, I'm gonna just post this on a new thread with the exact title of the thread that I will be most likely to search for in three months when I haven't done it in that time.)

But I agree...those things i do often (the "front of the manual" things), they are easy for me... but some of them seem very complicated when I try to explain them to even very bright friends who use other softwares a lot.

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #31 - Oct 5th, 2014, 12:09pm

Quote:
though I can't tell of all those options if any of them actually pertains to what should be called "MapDefaultNoteColor" or whatever I'd have called it.

I'll post a reply in the other thread.

As far as I can tell, the attribute you are looking for is called  (wait for it!  Wink) ... $Color !

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #32 - Oct 5th, 2014, 1:20pm

Stepping back to Greg's issue of where to start looking…

I'd go to the manual and finding that 'Using Maps' (as you appear to be a Map user) doesn't mention, I'd look at aTbRef -> Views -> Map View. you can get that far just by links. Scan the latter page it over view and doesn't go into colours in depth but does link to Map View Interface which has list of aspects of the look & feel of Map view. But as I'm now reminded has no note on this, at the info's actually in the parent containers in the article
Default note colours & patterns. Why? Because over the 8 year life of aTbRef, at some point the Misc Interface Aspects grew to big and sprouted a Map Interface section. Of course everyone (incorrect assumption) would have read the parent section, so I (aTbRef's author) omitted to alias the doc into the child container which would have fixed the problem. It shows that writing documentation is hard and that without those who'll only watch video and won't read or vice versa, and so on through personal styles.

All of which shows it's hard documenting a complex, multi-facetted and evolving tool even if one just wants to look at colo[u]r related aspects.

However, I do think users can help by describing the answers they couldn't answer via the available materials. Even if it doesn't fix the issue immediately it does help identify holes in help coverage that may simply not be obvious to the person with that particular problem (contrary to intuition everyone else doesn't has the same problems we do).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #33 - Oct 5th, 2014, 3:02pm

Thanks, Mark. I think you're helping to make my point.

I couldn't find it in the Manual, and as it was an on-the-fly question I didn't read the manual front to back... frankly, I don't think people often consult software manuals very often anymore. I don't sometimes have your reference tools and like you say, they do tend to be developed over time and so things get misplaced, lost, taken out. (Like the above discussion of how to toggle in and out of the "make new note by hitting Return" issue.)

Heavy users of any tool tend to take a lot as obvious that may not be. I always remember having heard that the original "Murphy's Law" referred back to an accident that happened at NASA. (Memory might be inaccurate but the story still works.) There was some kind of test instrument for assessing effects of high speed acceleration on the human body, some kind of rocket sled thing. One part got re-installed backward (it fit either way), and so the thing (without a body in it) went flying off the rail and crashed. When they traced the fault to that error in installation, the chief engineer, named Murphy, created a new rule: that if there is a right and a wrong way to install a part, some day someone WILL install it the wrong way. So the rule became to never design something that can be installed incorrectly.

I know how challenging that can be with something this complicated. But I seem to have a special gift for trying the obvious, but wrong way to do something I haven't done for a while in Tinderbox. So the fewer "ways that can be tried that won't work" there are, the easier things will hopefully become over time.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #34 - Oct 5th, 2014, 3:47pm

The bottom line to this circular discussion is the what we can't understand is all too easily rationalised somebody else's mistake/laziness. One can take that path, or just accept there are things we don't know and that just because the folk who do know haven't written it down (and in a form we understand) that isn't through deliberate antipathy. Sometimes it's best to just ask a question and neglect to mention the head of steam causing one to ask it.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #35 - Oct 5th, 2014, 3:59pm

I have never intended to come across as casting aspersions. I'm sorry if it seemed to be so.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #36 - Oct 5th, 2014, 4:13pm

No worries, that wasn't my concern. I was simply trying to point out that it's easy to get frustrated by documentation if we fall into the lazy assumption that our question is simple/obvious/of no interest to those we think should bother about it. I'm sorry to say it happens to me all too often. I suspect it happens to others too.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print