Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Simplenote tags in TbX6? (Read 14366 times)
Jim Reid

Simplenote tags in TbX6?
Oct 18th, 2014, 6:46am

Hi,

I'm enjoying the new version of tinderbox and am glad to see that simplenote sync made the transition to V6.

In V5, I used simplenote tags to sync only a subset of notes, V6 respects this in documents I created in V5. But I can't see how to set this up for a new document created in version 6. Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Jim

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Simplenote tags in TbX6?
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2014, 8:45am

Jim,

No you've not missed a setting. I think in tidying up v5's overgrown preferences, the 'tags' filter setting for Simplenote got omitted. As you need this, please drop a line direct to Eastgate to let then know.

As at v6.1, I din't think you can set this extra tag filter via the UI but the setting is still there in the XML of a new v6 document. So *if* you're happy to edit XML, read onÖ

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014, 10:30am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2014, 10:31am

The source code editing is described in this thread.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jim Reid

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2014, 11:18am

Got it; thanks Mark. I'll give it a try and se how I get on.

Hope you didn't waste too much of a Saturday on this!

IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2014, 9:10am

Thanks for the clarifications so far - although nothing of it is working for me.

Using TB 6.1 and following your instruction, Mark, I cannot even bring TB to sync with Simplenote. Everything's set up correctly but no syncing is started.

I hope this question is not to far off topic. If so - please move it to the respective place.

Best
andreas

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2014, 9:20am

As I'vet use simplenote for a few years, I'm not in a good place to say, plus Yosemite may now be another factor. As I'm uncertain of the exact status of SN synching in TB6, I'd suggest contacting Eastgate. Please don't read the latter as implying SN support doesn't work TB6. Rather, there are clearly some issues - based on this thread - and I have not formal comment to reference as to how SN sync works in v6.

My earlier tests were simply baed - as stated - on comparing v5 and v6 TBX code). I've current insufficient spare time to test this more deeply myself. Sorry if this is a partial answer but I hope it helps you and other SN users move forward.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
andreas grimm

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2014, 2:05pm

Thanks, Mark! Yes, it may be a Yosemite-issue. It's a pity that there's no easy and at the same time: secure way to get data into Tinderbox.

Anyone else any ideas? Cheers!

andreas

IP Logged
Gregg Williams

San Jose CA
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2014, 5:02pm

@andreas grimm: I've had a lot of trouble with SimpleNote notes being corrupted when trying to import them into Tinderbox.

My solution? Login to my Simplenote account on the web, copy the text from the note, and paste it into Tinderbox. It's one more step, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

IP Logged
Bob Kemp

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2014, 8:47am

"It's a pity that there's no easy and at the same time: secure way to get data into Tinderbox."

It's a little esoteric and depends on another bit of hardware but I use an AlphaSmart Neo word processor for much of my writing (provides a distraction-free environment and the batteries last for absolutely ages...). I connect via a USB cable to my Mac with an empty Tinderbox note at the front and it will suck in my document from the Neo. I then Explode the resulting large note. Not appropriate for all purposes by any means but useful for some things.

There must be other ways too.

I've successfully synced with Simplenote but I'm having trouble getting rid of the Simplenote attributes even when I change the prototype. There is always a new challenge!

Cheers,

Bob

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2014, 8:49am by Bob Kemp »  
  IP Logged
Jim Reid

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2014, 4:17pm

OK,

It looks like I'm also having a problem getting simplenote sync to work at all; if all goes well, I'll email a minimal broken example to tech support tomorrow.

I did try this before upgrading to Yosemite and it also failed, so this is not a simple upgrade issue. I also tried it using a 5.something version of tbx (I'm sure this used to work) with no joy, so this may not be a tinderbox problem at all...

Regards,

Jim

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2014, 5:02pm

Apart from some early test when the feature was added, I've not used SN integration for personal TB work. However, some of my TB consulting clients have and I understand it to have worked (works!) correctly in v5.

Meanwhle, as a general point, it is worth bearing in mind that this is the sort of lesser TB feature that comparatively few users may use heavily. Given that forum users are themselves a small set of TB users, don't be disheartened if there is little feedback on SN topics. IOW, you may be lucky, but don't overlook contacting support if you have a problem. Inter-app communication can often get much more complex than it appears on the surface, especially will online services which are themselves maturing.

I hope you are able to resolve your sync issues.   Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jim Reid

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2014, 12:19pm

Hi All,

I've just downloaded 6.1.1 and Simplenote sync looks like it is working just fine (tags I assume are work in progress, but MA's workaround exists, so this is much less urgent).

Thanks! This is much appreciated.

Now I just have to get back in the habit of using simplenote on my phone as an inbox to tinderbox...

Cheers,

Jim

IP Logged
Jordan T. T-H

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2014, 11:30pm

Did you try creating notes within the Simplenote container in Tinderbox? Did they sync back to Simplenote? I cannot manage that, even with a prototype that gives notes created in it the key attributes of a simplenote note.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2014, 4:21am

TB v6.1.1 release notes ('recent change') note that:

Quote:
Simplenote syncing had been inadvertently disabled. Itís back now. (1171)

REsolving this further probably requires others to look at your file - and thus SN data to - so I suggest you contact support.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jordan T. T-H

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2015, 12:41pm

Just wanted to check in to make sure peoples' simplenotes are syncing, as mine isn't, and support hasn't said anything regarding it, other than they'll take a look.

Is it really working? It seems to break after the initial sync.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print