Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't change value of $ParagraphSpacing (Read 2229 times)
Gregg Williams

San Jose CA
Can't change value of $ParagraphSpacing
Oct 26th, 2014, 1:12am

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this:

For reasons of personal preference, I would like to decrease the space between paragraphs in the $Text field. I found that the correct way to do this is to modify the value of the attribute $ParagraphSpacing, but I'm confused by the way that Tinderbox 6 is behaving.

Q1: I first tried making $ParagraphSpacing a key attribute by clicking the + button in the upper left corner of the Text pane. Sure enough, I can make $ParagraphSpacing appear as a key attribute. When I double clicked its current value, I found that I could change it, but doing so failed to change the display of the text in the pane. Can one change the values of key attributes this way, or are they supposed to be regarded as read-only?

I decided to go looking for answers in the Inspector floating window. Sure enough, in the Document Inspector, I found that I could view the attribute $ParagraphSpacing. There is also a Default text box, and it makes sense that if I change the value there, my problem should be solved! However, I can't enter a value into that text box. In gray text, it says "8 (preference)". To me, that indicates that the value of 8 has been set at some "higher" level and should be changed there. Well, the only level higher than Document is Application, and I can't find a way to change $ParagraphSpacing through either the Tinderbox Inspector or through the (Apple menu) > Preferences panel.

Q2: Does anybody know why I can't change the default value of $ParagraphSpacing through the Document Inspector? And what does that "8 (preference)" in gray text mean?

Q3: How do I change the value of $ParagraphSpacing?

Thank you for whatever insights you can contribute to understanding this situation and solving the problem!

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2014, 1:13am by Gregg Williams »  
  IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Re: Can't change value of $ParagraphSpacing
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2014, 3:41am

If you change $ParagraphSpacing for a specific note (using the Key Attribute panel or the Properties Inspector (cmd-2)), then it does work -- but you'll only see the change if you move the focus of the text panel away from the current note and back (i.e.. click on another note, then back to the original and the new setting will have been applied). It's not refreshed dynamically.

You'd also use this method if you want to change the paragraph spacing for all existing notes. Note, this is the Properties Inspector -- third along with a 4 in the box -- not the Document Inspector (second along with a paper sheet in the icon). Select every note, press cmd-2 then Quickstamp, choose $ParagraphSpacing and enter the new value.  

Alternatively, if you're using prototypes, you could also change $ParagraphSpacing in a prototype and it will change automatically for any note using that prototype.

If you want to change the default for ParagraphSpacing for all new notes, it's in Edit > Document Settings (cmd-8), on the text panel. You are right that the heading in the Document Inspector is misleading when it says "(preference)" -- it should say "Document Setting".

(Note that this won't over-ride the setting in any prototype you've created. Nor will it change the setting for any new tinderbox file you create.)

HTH.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2014, 12:59pm

If you change Paragraph Spacing in the Text Inspector’s Text pane, the spacing of the current note does update immediately.  Of course, this applies only to the current note.

To change the paragraph spacing in new notes, use Document Settings.

WWW   IP Logged
Gregg Williams

San Jose CA
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2014, 10:15pm

@David, thanks for the excellent descriptive answer, especially the workflow for changing multiple notes simultaneously. I don't use TBX enough to remember where all the knobs and dials are.

> but you'll only see the change if you move the focus of the text panel away from the current note and back...it's not refreshed dynamically

I keep forgetting that. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print