Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reccomended Resource: 'Ordinary Human Language' (Read 3620 times)
J Fallows

Reccomended Resource: 'Ordinary Human Language'
Nov 10th, 2014, 10:47am

If you haven't already come across them, let me recommend the growing series of explanatory videos and posts at the Ordinary Human Language site, by Brian Crane, collected here: http://ordinaryhumanlanguage.ca/tag/tinderbox/.

The power and also the challenge of complex, open-ended software like Tinderbox is that because it can do so many things, you're often not sure how to do one particular thing. These posts add to the corpus of lessons that show specific tactics from which you can generalize.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Reccomended Resource: 'Ordinary Human Language'
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2014, 3:34pm

Hear hear!

WWW   IP Logged
Russel

textbook author,
educator,
instructional
designer

Santa Fe, NM
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2014, 7:06pm

What an awesome resource! This writer some explains practical problems I've been wrestling since I started using Tinderbox last June. It goes way beyond the compartmentalized details you'd get from a user guide.

For example, here's an insight that was totally eluding me regarding the use of outlines and maps.
http://www.screencast.com/t/UM8vRHXSxPb

IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2014, 1:43am

I agree, and again to highlight it for others: the tutorial here http://ordinaryhumanlanguage.ca/2014/11/07/formatting-shallow-outlines/, on "formatting shallow outlines," is very useful in working within one of TB's mapping constraints.

(The constraint is that maps can show only notes within a single container. Thus if you have notes from elsewhere you would like to include, you either do that with aliases -- or through the inventive approach shown here.)

IP Logged
Greg Korgeski

Vermont
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2014, 7:29pm

I also like his site quite a bit. I think that the most obvious reason is that he explains and demos some pretty "basic" things that actually don't seem basic unless you already know them. Does it clearly.

But another reason I like his site is that he does more than give basic how-to demonstrations. He also shows a lot of creativity in some of what he does, such as the aforementioned on outlines.

Thinking about it today, I realized that this highlights one of the great things about Tinderbox -- there is a lot of room for creative uses of it that you don't find in other tools. Both in terms of aesthetics (e.g., finding really nice ways to display notes and data) and in terms of a sort of interior process that it can facilitate, in terms of organizing one's thoughts, it is very valuable.

On some level, it's a bit like exploring an artistic medium. (Yeah, often a very difficult to use and frustrating medium. But still...)  He does a very nice job of modeling some of that and hinting at the kinds of creative thought that it can encourage.

IP Logged
BCrane

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2014, 7:15pm

Hello everybody. Thanks for the compliments about the site. I'm really glad you're finding it useful. Bit embarrassed, but happy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print