Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pasting notes in 6.1.1 (Read 3497 times)
Bob Kemp

Pasting notes in 6.1.1
Nov 26th, 2014, 9:03am

Just a little information:

The list of fixes and improvements for 6.1.1 includes the item "When pasting notes in maps, if the map background has been clicked, the pasted note is placed at the location of the most recent click."

Perhap I'm a little dense but I assumed that this meant that pasting the note via the menu or Command-V would place the note at the point of your last mouse-click before pasting. It doesn't, it's much better: it pastes the item on mouse-click when and where you next click on the map. Neat.

- Bob

[Edit] - Okay, perhaps I am losing my grip... I did observe this behaviour but now I can't replicate it. I can now only use Command-V or the menu Paste, and the notes are being pasted in at various locations. What's really supposed to happen?

- B

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2014, 9:20am by Bob Kemp »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Pasting notes in 6.1.1
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2014, 11:12am

There's not enough detail here to know exactly what you're doing; there are so many ways to paste in Tinderbox, all subtly different.

If you click and then immediately paste a copied note, the note will appear near the point of the click.  If there's no recent click or if for some reason Tinderbox can't paste there, Tinderbox will paste near the currently selected note.  If there's no selection, Tinderbox will paste near {0,0}.

Right-clicking the background may be what you really want to do.

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2014, 11:13am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Bob Kemp

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2014, 5:31am

Thanks Mark.

Your explanation of how Tinderbox behaves in pasting is helpful but doesn't entirely explain what I'm finding. I was pasting notes cut within a map from one place to another and from one container into another. I got the the first behaviour you describe, with the note appearing near the point of the click, to start with. But this is no longer happening. If I select a note and then Paste with Command-V or via  the Edit menu the note will appear near a currently selected note as you describe. If no note is selected the pasted note appears to be still there as I can see the text but I can't find it on the map - 'Find' is not always helpful here as it doesn't indicate map location.

If this is getting a little esoteric perhaps I should email you?

- Bob

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2014, 8:31pm

Please Email with details and preferably movies and sample files

WWW   IP Logged
Bob Kemp

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2014, 9:19am

Okay, i'll do that. I've just been trying things out in a little test file. Things are working there as you suggest you should, so it looks like it may be a problem with the original file I was working on.

- Bob

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2014, 9:30am

A couple of thoughts. Are you pasting into a container with a $Sort set? A note gets added a 'untitled' until given a title ($Name). Also in agents, $CleanupAction can control where things go.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Bob Kemp

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2014, 9:44am

Thanks Mark. No, I'm not using any sorting. As for $CleanupAction  - good idea, it never occurred to me to use it in situations like this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print