Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Text pane fontsize (Read 5170 times)
MJ Mastroianni

Text pane fontsize
Nov 28th, 2014, 4:50pm

Duh. Having difficulty with something that should be easy, I'm thinking ...

I want to:

-- Stamp a collection of notes such that the *textpane* fontsize is 24 pts

-- Set the default document *textpane* fontsize to 24 so that new notes have 24 pt text in the pane.

The attribute browser shows all my fontsize's at 24 pt. However the only ones that actually *display* 24 pts are ones I changed by selecting all the text in the textpane and right-clicking to get a font control up for font selection and size specification ...

(Sighs) Sorry to ask this dufus question, but I need to use this for a presentation I'm giving this week.

Thanks for any help  Cool

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Text pane fontsize
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2014, 6:39pm

I suspect you're setting $TextFontSize to 24pt. However, this simply tells notes which have not $Text what font size to use when first adding text. The downside of the much asked-for richer $Text features is that existing text doesn't inherit changes to $Text font/size. In other words you can't change $TextFontSize's default and have all existing notes's font size change too. This is a known issue and I believe it is being looked at, though it's more complex to get fix (that suits everyone) than might be imagined.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2014, 7:04pm

Note Format ▸ Style ▸ Standard Size, which sets selected text to the size specified by $TextFormat.

These hoops aren't there to vex you; we're very cautious about removing your formatting once you've typed anything. Too cautious at this point, I think, but there you are; if you’ve been working with (say) 11pt  and later change the default to 13pt, Tinderbox assumes that the stuff you were OK with at 11pt is still OK.

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2014, 7:06pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2014, 10:52pm

Hmm. Ok.

At least I can retract my "duh" ...

Maybe at some future time add a TextfontDisplayMagFactor? A value of 1.0 is standard display, 2.0 doubles all displayed font sizes, etc.?

Idk, but at least I understand why it's as it is, which is pretty reasonable, really. Thanks for the quick response! Smiley

IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2015, 9:36pm

Hi - I'm using the 6.1.3 demo and am unable to set a value for TextFontSize in the system attributes dialog. It says (in grey) "16 (preference)" but I can't change it. Is there some other place I'm supposed to be doing this? I can't seem to change many of the defaults in this dialog, actually.

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2015, 3:28am

If a system attribute's default includes '(preference)' it implies that the default can only be set via a preference. That label is perhaps poor as controls that were Preferences in v5 were moved in v6 to Document Settings (Edit menu, or Cmd+8). Anyway, the 'Text Font' control on the right side of the Text tab of Document Settings sets both $TextFont and $TextFontSize.

Note that in v6, to use bold and italic, your text font must have discrete bold and italic font variants. Otherwise, you will need to choose a different font if you need to bold or italicise something. For instance, Lucida Grande has no (installed) italic font variant.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2015, 8:47pm

Is there a way to issue the above command (Format ▸ Style ▸ Standard Size) via a stamp? Or any way to apply it to multiple notes at once?

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2015, 5:04am

No. However, the issue of 'resetting' multiple texts is known. Suffice it to say it appears there isn't a simple fix owing to how things are engineered. Action script isn't - and I don't think ever was - intended to do things like text formatting.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2015, 7:55pm

Thanks. I used Keyboard Maestro to do it via a series of keystrokes. But then I came up with a stamp that works, using a user attribute as a placeholder, after reading in TbRef that "$TextFont is used for any Text set via an action or rule."

$u_string_placeholder=$Text;
$Text="";
$Text=$u_string_placeholder;

Cheesy

Thanks -- Barbara

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2015, 9:31pm

This clever sequence will work, but it will also lose bold and italic styles (and headings) that might have been applied to the text.

WWW   IP Logged
Barbara Snyder

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2015, 11:58pm

Ah, ok, thanks for reminding me of that. Right now I just wanted to use it on my copy of the TbRef - my eyes just need a bigger font to plow through all that detailed info.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2015, 9:35am

This is one of the reasons this is a known issue. 8 (9?) years back when I started the doc text was in 10 pt Geneva, since when we've gone via 12pt Lucida Grande to 16pt Hoefler.

FWIW, in the v6 aTbRef, $Text is in 14pt Helvetica Neue - I find some serif fonts just don't suit technical writing; they're better for general writing.

As you're reading the v5 aTbRef, you could open it in v5.12.2 (which happily coexists with v6) and use Edit menu, Document Preferences -> Text -> Magnify Fonts, see more.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print