Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Minimize text in note body, map view (Read 4837 times)
MJ Mastroianni

Minimize text in note body, map view
Nov 29th, 2014, 11:36am

(This might be a tip I guess?)

I didn't like having the body of text that you can view in the text pane appearing in my notes in map view. Setting MapBodyTextSize to 0.1 accomplished this, so now my map-viewed notes display their names only, which is much cleaner for my presentation purpose. (Of course, one may not prefer this for an infinity and beyond number of reasons ...)

To change the setting in TinderboxSix:

• CMD+1 (Hold CMD button and press 1) to get the Document Inspector
• Choose System settings
• Choose Category as Map
• Choose Attribute as MapBodyTextSize
• Enter 0.1 as Default value

Badaboom, badabing.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Minimize text in note body, map view
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2014, 12:23pm

Or, see $MapBodyTextSize. Using a value of '1' suppresses display of $Text in map icons. Added in v5.0.2. Just re-tested in v6.1.1 and it still works just fine.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2014, 1:50pm

Thanks, Mark. Yep, just tried it. I noticed playing around that in my document at least, anything above values of 0 and below about 2.18 suppressed the text. But I gather that the essential point is that a value of 1 allows the default behavior, and a value of 1 (by definition) suppresses the display of the map body's text. Do I have that correct?

** Ooops, just read your attached link, got it, yes!

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2014, 1:51pm by MJ Mastroianni »  
  IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2014, 10:32am

I meant to say:

*value of 0 allows the default behavior

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2014, 4:32pm

A value of 0 means, "choose an appropriate scale factor."

A value of N>0 means, "represent the default text size as approximately N points."  So, if your default text size is (say) 16pt Helvetica, then N=12 will give you something like 12pt (at standard scale) where the full-size text gives you 16pt. The 24pt headline in the article will be something like 18pt.

If the text size falls below some arbitrary threshold -- something like 6pt as I recall, we don’t draw the text at all.

WWW   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2014, 2:02pm

Ahh, got it. Thank you Smiley

IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2014, 6:19pm

Bug or Feature?

I've set the Document Settings for default Text font to 24 pt (i.e., "HoefflerText-Regular 24pt" appears in the "Text font" field of the Document Settings window.)

If I dbl-click the map background to create a new note, 24 pt text appears is ready to go in the text pane of the note. Yay.

However, if I've selected a note which does not have 24 pt set, and press Return to create a new note, the text pane will not have 24 pt set. It appears as if the selected note's text pane text sets the new note's font. I can see why this might be; adding notes quickly in succession after having selected a note might often mean that the user would like to retain the settings of the selected note. But since the selected note is not a prototype, and since (AFAIK) pressing Return just adds a new note (i.e., it doesn't purport to duplicate the selected note as, e.g., the [CMD]-D shortcut key-sequence would) I would have expected the Document Settings to prevail.

Obviously not a *big* concern here, but I am paying closer attention to Tinderbox behaviors now that I'm starting to do honest-to-goodness real work in her Smiley

Comments appreciated Smiley

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2014, 3:55am

I can't reproduce this. It is important to note that $TextSize only applies to $Text until $Text has first been edited. At that point inheritance is broken; even just clicking in the $Text pane and doing nothing breaks inheritance.

I agree your analysis that what you see with Return looks like a duplication/copy rather than a new note, but as I can't repeat you findings it's hard to resolve (I'm using v6.1.1 on 10.8.5). I'd suggest dropping a copy of the problem file to support.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
MJ Mastroianni

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2014, 2:04pm

Thanks Mark, I will drop a note to Support as soon as I get a chance. I'll spend some time really verifying this effect as well.

Concerning that merely clicking into a Text pane without even making an entry or edit breaks the setting seems extreme to me; I can easily envision why materially *changing* the text would result in the inheritance being broken. But it seems pretty likely that someone might inadvertently click in a text pane without intending to ...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2014, 4:19pm

I think (from a users's perspective) that clicking into $Text effectively initialises (an empty) first paragraph and in doing so sets a ruler, font, font size, etc. The latter stops inheritance. I suspect it's hard to work around that if the standard OS X Cocoa frameworks are used.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of this method of 'crystallising' unseen and unintended font settings. But, I'm mindful that there seem to be a significant number of users who do litter their notes with lots of DTP-type stylings and they need this sort of text control. One-size-fits-all is hard in this case - it's not an antipathy to any one sub-set of users.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print