Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting Your Dissertation / Academic Research (Read 12051 times)
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Starting Your Dissertation / Academic Research
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2015, 5:33pm

I find that automation can often help populate attributes, even when it can’t be correct every time.  For example, we might want to tag every train ticket we report on our expense form with the tags “rail” and “transportation”.  We could do this manually, and sometimes we’ll have to, But we can also have an agent do something like this:

Query: inside(/Expenses) & Name.contains("train")
    Action:$Tags |= "rail;transportation"

So, any note that has "train" in its name will get these tags, unless it already has other tags. So, when you buy a model train for a client’s daughter, you just change the Tags to "gifts" and you’re all set.

The unusual assignment operator |= performs the assignment only if the current value is empty. It’s often handy when you want to use a rule or agent to make a preliminary guess.

WWW   IP Logged
Scott Heftler

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2015, 5:27pm

I took Leslie Jarmon's (RIP) Dissertation Writing seminar at UT Austin when I started running out of deadline extensions.  After our first meeting I stayed behind and interrogated the other stragglers.  "What is your favorite writing software?"  One guy mentioned Tinderbox.  I asked why, and his answer surprised me.  "You can put a picture in the background and scatter notes on top of it in a dirty, haphazard way.  But be careful, you can really got lost in it."

Well, that clinched it.  Tinderbox sounded graphic, dirty, and dangerous.  I got the demo copy and found that I loved Map View and used it as a meditation device.  I wrote agents that changed note colors based on regex searches for key words.  Notes that contained Kant quotes (always in that easy to spot [A##/B##] format) got the Chat badge.

Tinderbox was Map View, and Map View was a sticky, concrete auxiliary imagination.  Fleeting ideas got anchored in a pretty way that invited consideration.

Since then, my TB use has changed so much that my old TBXs look like primitive finger paintings.  Long story short: I started exporting in HTML and importing into Word.  Then I starting writing inside TB for real and exporting to HTML for keeps.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2015, 3:30am

Quote:
writing inside TB for real and exporting to HTML for keeps

I'm of the same mind. The missing piece of the jigsaw is being able to control link mark-up so as to be able to export single HTML docs with footnotes (more likely endnotes) and references; even better to be able to link these both ways. I find it ironic that most academic papers are written with digital tools yet are easier to read in paper form as you can move about the document more rapidly - especially flipping back and forth to the references. PDFs, or rather the digital content 'tinted' into them perfectly supports internal links so it ought to be trivial to be able to make an inline cite link to the full reference in the doc's references and for the latter to link back. Or, at least explicitly to the first inline citation; the PDF viewers 'back' navigation method supports reversing back to the second and subsequent inline cite. Note of that affects the use of the document in paper form. And yet we hobble ourself to limits of now aged technology.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Simon Smailus

Tipton, UK
Reply #18 - Dec 16th, 2015, 10:31am

Sorry for stating the blindingly obvious. First container is always "sources".

Simon Smailus
WWW   IP Logged
Jordan T. T-H

Reply #19 - Dec 16th, 2015, 12:06pm

One thing that's really helped me in my note taking on sources is adding the fields Citekey and Source to the Reference prototype that's created when dragging over a Bookends reference. Then I use the following TextExpander shortcuts to fill those out with whatever reference is currently highlighted in Bookends.

To get the currently selected reference's Citekey (as TextExpander applescript, whenever I type ;cite):

Code:
on textexpander(abbreviation)
	tell application "Bookends"
	«event ToySGUID» («event ToySRUID» "Selection") given «class RRTF»:"false", string:"Citekey"
end tell
end textexpander 

And the reference, for ;source:
Code:
on textexpander(abbreviation)
	tell application "Bookends"
	«event ToySGUID» («event ToySRUID» "Selection") given «class RRTF»:"false", string:"APA 6th Edition"
end tell
end textexpander 

I also have the following as the OnAdd attribute for a Reference, so notes created within a Reference container always inherit their parents' information. If that information is already filled out, because I'm brining in other notes from other sources or making aliases, the |= assignment operator won't overwrite existing information.

Code:
$Prototype |= "~note"; $Source|=$Source(parent); $CiteKey|=$CiteKey(parent); 

My notes prototypes have these KeyAttributes:

Code:
CiteKey;Source;URL;NoteURL;Created;Modified 

I should also say that this is the basic structure of my Zettelkasten and takes care of most notes I take.

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2015, 12:09pm by Jordan T. T-H »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dominique Renauld

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2016, 11:34pm

If I had to start a new thesis (I'm currently writing mine), I'd certainly begin with a long brainstorming in map view as long as it would be necessary to explore all sorts of links and associations and before to begin to write things in a more linear way with Scrivener as I've been doing for months now. There are several reasons for working in this way, but there is one I recently discovered: Tinderbox allows me to manage an impressive amount of temporary notes, these notes I write without knowing if they will finally be inserted in my thesis, but seem important at the moment I have got them in mind. I've just uploaded a 4 minutes video on that topic: https://vimeo.com/155249118

Twitter : @dominiq_renauld
WWW   IP Logged
J Fallows

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2016, 12:13pm

Very interesting video! I did a post about it on the Atlantic's site:

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/all/2010/01/chronicles-of-interesting-software/...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print