Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Agent Sorting (Read 2859 times)
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Agent Sorting
Jan 04th, 2015, 10:36pm

I'm trying to get a handle on how an Agent sorts its collected items when Don't Sort is its setting. What I would like is for it to sort (in this particular case, anyway) in the order seen in the list from which it grabbed the items. The Don't Sort setting doesn't seem to do this.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Agent Sorting
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2015, 4:18am

Short answer, in the Action Inspector's 'Sort' tab set the left pop-up ($Sort) to 'Name' and the right one ($SortTransform) to 'original note'. See more here and here.

The default sort, i.e. no sort, lets the agent just get on with things as it sees fit. In most cases the order of results reflects the $OutlineOrder of matched items but some factors such as complicated queries or agents querying other agents can result in unexpected ordering of results. for simple tasks the order doesn't usually matter. But, if a definite sort is needed do consider setting the sort/sort transform settings for the container as already described above.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ralph Alvy

Santa Monica
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2015, 10:22am

Ah, I see. Actually, to get what I wanted, I used OutlineOrder and OriginalNote, instead of Name and OriginalNote. Now its sorting perfectly mirrors my outline. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2015, 11:24am

You can sort ordinary containers as well as agents but with the former it makes sense to turn off (set to 'none') sorting once you're done as static notes won't alter their sort unless/until you do something to them. By comparison, agents potentially re-build their aliases (i.e. unsorted order) each agent update cycle.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2015, 11:43am

Actually, I frequently keep my containers sorted. For example, in my weblog Tinderbox, monthly archives sort posts by date; when I make a new note, itís automatically timestamped and sorted in the appropriate place.  

This can be taken to extremes, of course, but if you've got a container you want to keep sorted, and to which you sometimes add new stuff, you can keep its sort criteria.  (On the other hand, do remember that you've done this; a frequent support question involves an outline where notes canít be moved because they mysteriously spring back whence they came after a few second!)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print