Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An "accelerated input" mode (Read 1746 times)
jwiegley

An "accelerated input" mode
Jan 18th, 2015, 10:50am

My favorite thing about OmniOutliner is that pressing return not only completes the note currently being created, but immediately creates the next note as well.  So, in Tinderbox I follow these steps:

1. Return in Outline view to create a note.
 2. Enter title.
 3. Return to complete the note.
 4. Return again to create the next note.

In OO, step 3 is unnecessary.  Now, I can understand why it's there in Tinderbox, since sometimes instead of immediately creating the next note, I will want to hit space to add text to that note; or work on the attributes for that note.

But what would be nice is a toggle-able, rapid input mode, where the behavior matches OmniOutliner, so that every time return is pressed a new note is created.

OO is so fast at input that I'm finding it a great companion to Tinderbox when I need to dump out bulk information, since I can export to OPML and then bring it over to Tinderbox.  But it would be nice to have less need to rely on external apps for such things.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: An "accelerated input" mode
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2015, 11:14am

Aside: you might find it quicker to just type all the items in as a line in the $Text of a single note and explode. Then you don't have to worry about the main view at all until you're done inputting. I'm not suggesting this s a counter to the above, just a current usable workaround. (FWIW, I too - not being a touch typist - always trip over the double-tap needed to start a new item during note creation.)

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
jwiegley

Re: An "accelerated input" mode
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2015, 11:24am

That's a great idea for when they are all siblings, I'll keep that in mind.  I should have mentioned that I also like to liberally apply the TAB key to shift things around in the hierarchy -- but since Tinderbox does equally as well as OO at this, I didn't mention it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print