Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Continual saving (Read 5119 times)
jwiegley

Continual saving
Jan 20th, 2015, 3:29pm

I've noticed while editing documents that it often says "Edited" in the title bar, although I'm not sure how much I'm required to manually save to make sure that changes are not lost.  iOS culture has been trending toward an "always saved" concept, using Undo and/or versioning to get back to prior states.

What if Tinderbox got rid of the "Edited" notifier, and instead instituted some kind of intelligent auto-saving policy:

1. While typing or modifying structure manually, auto-save would be frequent, maybe every 15 seconds or X keystrokes, whichever is sooner.

2. Changes induced by agents or rules, would only save every minute or few minutes, since these changes would in theory simply just happen again if you lost power and suddenly restarted.

IP Logged
Lars Christiansen

Lyon, FR
Re: Continual saving
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2015, 12:06pm

I have been dreaming of intellegent auto-saving for years.
However when auto-saving kicks in I often find the intelligence does not match my context.
Furthermore with Tinderbox there are times when I really DoNot want what I'm doing saved.

So yes it would be nice, but I would request that it comes with an easy way of disabling it. Smiley

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, 190
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2015, 12:54pm

There's actually an implicit kind of automatic saving in place.

Your work actually does get saved to disk quite often, and is always saved in a temporary file when you quit.  Explicit File ▸ Save moves the temporary file to replace the old saved file.

Don't forget OS X has a built-in system for examining old versions, too.  Plus, Time Machine is your friend.

WWW   IP Logged
jwiegley

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:36pm

Sounds good enough for me. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print