Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impact on save time, related to tbx Filesize (Read 2777 times)
Will Eatherton

California
Impact on save time, related to tbx Filesize
Feb 07th, 2015, 2:26pm

Folks,

First want to mention while I just started using Tinderbox in past month, I am already a big fan.

I have been selectively collapsing in notes from other sources (many pure text, but some notes had images embedded) , and this past week had about 5000 notes, and file size of 50MB and all good.  Very responsive (I work in outline mode).

Then in past few days I copied in (view per note select ->copy->past) about 10 notes from devonthink that were very heavy with images (screen snapshots) and while note count is about the same as befire the TBX file size went up to ~500MB.  

This is all fine I would think (my devonthink file is ~50GB) but now when I hit Cmd-S to save (which I habitually do), there is a 5-7 second pause and beach ball spinning).  Have other folks seen a this kind of correlation of TBX file size and save time ?   Any suggestions ?

Will

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Impact on save time, related to tbx Filesize
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2015, 3:19pm

Tinderbox is a tool for notes, but IMO this means text notes. If you clog its arteries with loads of images then I suspect it will begin to wheeze.  a better approach would be to leave the image back in DT and use URL-type links to link to the DT article if you need to see the images. Of course, I don't know the subject you're working on and how necessary inline visuals are. I don't mean to imply they don't matter, simply that I don't think that just because TB notes (and maps) allow images to be added that this is the way the app was designed (i.e the 'design intent').

If you thin out the images in your articles a bit (unless they really need to be there) I think you'll find performance will improve).

TB also works better with many small notes than fewer big ones. By 'small' I mean where you rarely need to scroll the text pane to read the whole of a note's $Text. Ther's no right or wrong here, just mismatching of individual assumptions.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Will Eatherton

California
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2015, 8:10pm

Thanks for the suggestions Mark.  I work across a lot of different software packages and like to take screenshots of what I am doing to help me later recall what I was doing.  This is just one workflow I have, but would be nice to keep it with rest of my notes.

I ran  few experiment cycles and found following with final resolution for now to move/leave a handful of heavy graphics notes in devonthink and reference from tinderbox.    

In case it helps anyone else I will record my results here
 -- full 526MB TBX save took right at 6 seconds to save, consistent across number of trials
 -- I tried leaving all my content in the TBX, but break apart the larger notes into much smaller chunks (like 10x more small notes), and save time went down to 5.8 seconds
 -- I tried deleting a set of heavy graphic notes and got file size to 250MB and save time was about 3 seconds from time I hit cmd-s
 -- I deleted some more and got down to 185MB, and there is no noticeable spinning beachball, but it still is about 2 seconds application pause after I hit cmd-s before it is "freed" up

I am going to hold at the 185MB and 2 seconds save time at this point, and try to manage slow growth of the TBX from here. I really like the utility so far of one application and one central TBX for all my major projects and "KnowledgeRep", but seems like it will be a tradeoff from here on out.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Impact on save time, related to tbx filesize
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2015, 12:53pm

Most people will be far better off storing links to lots of big images stored in DevonThink or what have you, rather than incorporating those images in Tinderbox.

My weblog, for example, has about 5000 notes and 800,000 words of text, but it only uses about 8M of disk space and save time is trivial.

WWW   IP Logged
Will Eatherton

California
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2015, 10:50am

One last question and followup on this topic.   After a month more I have decided that for scaling and performance of this one TBX I am using for all of my notes, that I do want to have strictly text and no screen shot clips as both Mark's suggest.

I did some manual scrubbing of some of the images I had scattered around my 6k notes and have shrunk my TBX but would like a systematica way to find notes with graphic images in them.

Q. Is there any attribute that would help identify notes with graphics, or "large" notes ? I can't seem to find anything that would help me get list of notes to scrub out the graphics so I can get back to a pure text TBX.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2015, 12:20pm

No, not that I'm aware of. $WordCount gives you some idea of the amount of text, but there's no attribute that tracks images inline in $Text (or as map adornments).

I don't think looking at the XML helps either as the image content is only stored in the <rtfd> tag (I just tested in v6.1.3) and the latter content isn't parse-able except with a tool that understands RTFD. I think at this point you might want to drop a line direct to support for a more detailed discussion.

(edit). Actually, an image adornment (image placed on a map) can be found in the TBX's XML as the picture's data is stored in an <image> tag, within an <adornment> element.

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2015, 12:24pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print